RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the forum so please excuse me if I ask a stupid question. So I am a realy happy owner of a 2001 2.5 DSE P38. I have done some upgrades and planing some more.What I want to do is to put HIDs in my headlights. I have purchased a hid conversion kit but sometimes it is blinding. I have been searching the web for some help / ideas and I would like to put a lens HIDs.I know that for this the glass should be polished to clear. I have found here in Poland a company which can do it and also do tge the conversion.The polishing of the glass would be done only on the part where the main beam is, in front of the H4 bulb. The part where the deep beam is would stay as it is now, with the stripes on the inside.I don't think it would be nice, so I would like to have the whole glass polished to clear.My question is : if the glass is polished on the whole, would the beam from the deep beam (H1 bulb) remain the same or would it I light everything else but the street? Thank you for your help.Best regards

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,781 Posts
As you have found projection style lamps of any kind are a complete failure in our factory housings. There are several threads existing on HID conversions. Have read through them to see just what you are up against. WHat some members have done is pretty much say "screw oncoming traffic" and used projector beams anyway. Most folks ditch the idea for upgraded bulbs and far less headaches.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
If you just want better lights, stick a pair of Osram Nightbreaker Ultimate bulbs in. Far better light output but retaining the existing beam pattern. There's also a thread on here from someone who fitted LED bulbs that gave the HID look but also kept the beam pattern.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers
I've read much about fitting HIDs to standard headlights.
The stock HID conversion kit is not as good as it may seem at first glance.
The light is brighter, stronger, whiter. You can see far better in the night. But, as I said the beam pattern in stock headlights is not very good. You blind people. I must say that I have this kit for about a year now and till last week had no issues with angry drivers. Even get through MOT control without any issue.
Last week I changed my headlights to bright new ones. Insurance paid for them. And since then I'm having some flashing lights. The lights were set up as they should be. I've checked it.
Why the lens? Because the do give you the right beam pattern and it is even better than stock halogen bulbs. Much sharper.
Why not the LEDs? Till now all I have seen on Youtube and read about, are not fit for road use. I mean, they look great on the car, but they don't light very much. I don't want to go for 80W LED bulbs. I don't hnow how it is elsewhere, but here you MUST keep to 55W.
My question was and still is, if I get my glasses polished to clear,without stripes will the deep beam be good or not? I mean will it still light in front of the car or somewhere else?

Thanks

I will try to find the thread you were talking about @Gilbertd about the LED bulbs

·
Registered
253 Posts
f you just want better lights, stick a pair of Osram Nightbreaker Ultimate bulbs in.
+1 the Osram nightbreakers make a huge difference, althought the bulbs are more expensive, they last for years.. in 4 years i've lost one bulb in the P38. and have osram nightbreakers in everything now.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
The member on here was referring to COB LED and he said they were ok with the becm....suggest you search his name "wayneg" and read the thread.

·
Registered
523 Posts
LED lights still have the same problem. The P38 headlights are designed for incandescent bulbs, where the light is actually emitted from the filament, which is in a very specific location within the bulb. The reflectors and the refraction properties of the front lens are very specifically designed around that small light source.

When you introduce HID or LED bulbs, the light source is entirely different, which means there is lots of scatter. People fit these bulbs and mistakenly get the impression that their lights are brighter, whereas what's really happening is that there's so much light scatter they are just getting more light all around the front of the car. The part of the light pattern that is actually needed to light the road is often less well lit. Plus oncoming drivers are blinded by all the scattered light.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have to pitch in here, I am so tired of the doomsday " you are going to blind every one" views on hids and LED bulbs. After many years and lots of different kits I would no longer put Hids in a P38. The issue is not blinding others its the effect on the BECM. You can overcome the bulb out warnings but the start surge of current cant be good for the BECM. The latest and I reiterate LATEST Cob LED bulbs are in my opinion the only way to go if you NEED bright lights. If you live in town with street lights and no bouncy kamikaze animals stick with stock halogens or a better bulb of the same. If you NEED some serious light on unlit remote roads and tracks gen 2 Cob leds are the way to go. Properly adjusted you arn`t going to blind anyone on dip, Main beam is a different matter. I stick by the rule if you can make out 2 headlights coming toward you you need to dip your headlamps, otherwise the more light the better.
I have not been contributing on this forum for long, the thread refered to is most probably on AUlRO.com where I can no longer post without paying $$

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,781 Posts
COBs have a pretty much identical dispersement source as standard bulbs and won't be an issue. BeCM is also rarely an issue as long as you maintain perceived draw for warnings and don;t overdraw and risk burn out. The issue comes from a different dispersement within the housing due to the reflective housing and fluted lense.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I would normally stay out of this one, however, in actual DRIVING here at night, I find HIDs to be incredibly annoying and yes, even blinding!
Not all, but most here. If we had decent vehicle testing including headlamp alignment, they would fail.

Having chimed in on that one, I have got to say I am super impressed with the stock lights on my 02. with Osram NB's installed, they are much better than my 85 with ARB driving lights on the bull bar.
I am a bit intrigued by Gen II COB lights, but not having any Kamikaze Roos, Wombats, Cows, Camels, or Echidnas here, I will probably spend the money on something else.
Perhaps I will get some for the 85........

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Whether blinding or not, as the beam pattern is dictated by the lens and that is designed to have a single point light source, fitting anything else in it's place isn't going to work properly. One of the things that is checked in our MoT test, the annual safety test that all cars must have, is the beam pattern. It must look like the diagram below, if it doesn't, it fails and the car can't be used on the road. Anything light output above the red line will fail. It would be interesting to try a set of the COB LED bulbs and see what they look like but I'm not buying a set just to have to take them out again.

MOT_Lights_3.jpg

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had the same dilemma and after a bit of research and advice from on here, fitted the Osram Nightbreaker as already recommended in the post. Made the world of difference, great clarity and pitch in complete darkness and as already mentioned, 5 mins to switch over and no issues with throw.

just remembered, its illegal to put Xenons, not HID's.

Cheers

Dougie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi to allAs I see, my simple question bacame another thread about pros and cons of the HIDs.I didn't want thisMy question I thought was a simple one. If I have my whole headlights polished will it affect the pattern of the DIP BEAM only. I have read a lot about HIDs in standard headlights. Ihave also seen the pattern from a lens dual HID.So please guys, answer my question and don't start another thread about pros and cons of the HIDs. And I will have a look at the COB LED'S you're talking about. Thanks

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,781 Posts
So you are trusting someone to cut apart your existing housings to separate the lense and then grind and polish the glass to remove the fluting and then reassemble the unit? You also trust that nothing is going to break and that the finished product will maintain it's seal long term? All so you can stick some aftermarket gear in the existing housing?

Can you? no clue as I doubt it has ever been done with an actual sealed unit from a P38.
Is it worth it? of course not. Upgrade to some decent bulbs and save the added costs, down time and headache.

If long distance driving when out on the road is an issue get a pair of proper pencil beam driving lights.

To add to your fact finding mission on a project like this, you should always consider replacement cost and availability. What are you going to do when a lense is damaged? It;s not like you can just hit up eBay or the local breaker for a replacement. You will be down shipping for a replacement factory unit, down time for the above steps to grind the glass and polish it and the down time to ship the polished replacement back to you.

So in short you did not pose a simple question as it really appears you have not researched all the pros and cons of this project. Many MANY members have been down this road and most have ripped everything out and returned to proper bulbs. ...but you already know that from reading the existing threads... right? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,I've already been to a guy who does this things. I mean tear apart headlights, polish them put some lenses inside and seal them back.This guy transforms american cars to be street legal in Poland. Transforms red side indicator lamps into orange ones and this and othet transformations are then street legal. This prep is done in one day. For my car.Why I haven't done it till now? Because it is not very cheap, about 250 euros for both lamps, polished and fitted with lenses.And because I'm wondering if it is worth. And if it is not gonna look like bad with half of the glass polished and half not.I have found a picture of this transformation but can't get my hands on it.It has been done in Turkey. But inside the dip beam they fit some leds and I don't like it.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
For that kind of money, what exactly are you trying to achieve?
It sounds like it ~should~ work, but as you already have a compliant vehicle, I would have to assume you want more, or a different tint of light.......But only on High beam....
If you need more light at night to avoid jump bears, or woggams on the road at night, then a decent set of Aux driving lights would be much more effective. (Nice LED versions available now)
Have you considered replacing or re lamping the fog lamps? I have a parts car here with Hid's in the Fogs and it looks pretty good at night with the very white light mixed in with the Osram's light. I would not hesitate to drive full speed off road in Australia with this set up as it is very good.
I am not using the Hid's on my 02 as they were very poorly made and the installation was boodged. (I briefly installed them, but they tore up the radio with RFI) I will probably get some COB II bulbs for the Fogs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello,
I wanted to do something like this except for the 3 leds.
Thought about another lens or standard bulb

9.jpg

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts