RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Range rover p38 gems not running well bouncing between 500-1000rpm

The title pretty much explains it p, I have a 1997 4.6HSE turns over fine but as soon as it's started it rocks side to side and the rpm jumps from 500-1000 and I can't get it to rev over 1000 it just sounds like it chokes above that. I've checked the fuel line and it seems to be receiving fuel (although the tank is really empty) spark plugs look fine (a bit of carbon build up so it is running rich) it has new ignition leads, im going to check the coils today but what's really odd is that there is no check engine light on :\ so can't pull up any codes though I'm 99% sure it's misfiring..

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
690 Posts
Re: Range rover p38 gems not running well bouncing between 500-1000rpm

*Why* is it really empty? Has it been sitting for a long time? If it has, it could be that the petrol is all manky and stale. Chuck a couple of gallons of clean fresh petrol in and see if that makes a difference, first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

It's really empty because I've been trying to fix it and burnt through the last bit of petrol, it hasn't been sitting very Lon only about a month or so.. I did put about 20 liters of fresh fuel in but no joy there. It also wasn't the ignition coils they are all firing perfectly

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
690 Posts

Okay, how do the plugs look after it's been idling? If you're happy with the fuel and sparks then there's a good chance you are now chasing an air leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts