Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

my P38 has been resting on its bump stops for at least 2 months.

I happened to look at the front air spring, and it looks horribly wrinkled.

My question is: will the air spring get damaged from being completely deflated?

It is now on the highest/off road position and will leave it there overnight to see if it goes down.

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
4,967 Posts
Wrinkled? When sitting on the bumpstops, they will fold over on themselves on the bottom. When bought new with no air in them, they are shorter than bumpstop height anyway. That assumes Dunlops and not Arnotts or other inferior 'upgrades'.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
665 Posts
Wrinkled? When sitting on the bumpstops, they will fold over on themselves on the bottom. When bought new with no air in them, they are shorter than bumpstop height anyway. That assumes Dunlops and not Arnotts or other inferior 'upgrades'.
You sure have hate for Arnott. I assume you have never used them.

·
Administrator
4,967 Posts
I never would, I only ever fit OEM parts, not something made by somebody that thinks they know better than the original designers. I hit 460,000 miles last night after a 3,300 mile trip in ambient temperatures of up to 36C while towing a 1990 Range Rover Classic on a trailer. Didn't miss a beat and everything works the same now as it did before.

Reactions: kcr

·
Administrator
4,967 Posts
Dunlop are original equipment so fit them. The originals will have lasted around 15 years so there's nothing to say replacements won't last the same. Island4x4 are a bit cheaper for fronts but rears have suddenly shot up in price.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Great, thanks. The ones on my car are in fact the originals, never replaced! Pushing 25 years and still holding air.

I believe very small air bubbles forming on the rear springs. I have disconnected Fuse 44 and will measure exactly how much it drops over a 24 hour period - either way I will replace all 4.

Pump and valve block have all new o-rings and gaskets, so now the only missing "weak link" are the air springs.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Motor vehicle

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts