RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey forum,

Coming from a family that has mostly owned land rovers and rangies (2x defender 110, one being heavily off road modified and now in south africa on safaris, 1x freelander 2, 1x discovery 4 [2014] + 2x 2008 range rover sport) or course - i will be getting one as a first car.

Having driven land - and range rovers from the age of 9 up until now, i know how to drive both pretty well.
I also have loads of experience working on cars, so doing an oil change or swapping the waterpump is no problem for me.

I will now be giving the info that will be able to help you decide what would be best for me - because i really am not sure.

Price:
upkeep kosts (fuel (no matter how much) and taxes + insurance) are not my problem, job and parents pay that.
I have around 15k (€) and the financial capitol to keep both of these running for a number of years. Money is NO problem for me but i would like to stay under 15 grand (buying price).

A fully equipped 2008 Range Rover with 180k KMs (highway) on the clock is around 13500 €, probably around 12800 as the prices are negotiable with most.I would be most interested in the ones with around 200 HP, as i think more is pretty useless (although the disco 4 has 252 and thats real fun) of course, tax, insurance and fuel (preferred a diesel model) would be more than a defender 110.

A decent condition 1999 td5 Defender 110 (no good condition 90s for sale in my whole country atm, but a 110 is great aswell) with little rust and around 250k Kms (also highway) is around 15000€. Of course, you dont get the "luxery" of a range rover but you do get better fuel economy and lower taxes/insurance. Although i have to say, i feel like the defender would lack a bit of power when pulling a trailer (just from my experience driving them). Service costs would be lower aswell because i can change 80% of the car myself if needed, but i do find in colder weather like the -5 to -20 in the winter here could bring some problems.

no matter what i would be buying, i would make sure either one has had the correct sercive intervals and has been taken car of well (eg new parts, regular fluid changes - you get what i mean)

I would mostly be doing europe wide trips with my boattrailer (only 750kg no more) - so mostly highway. From cold Russia in november all the way to 40°c hot greece in summer, which makes me think the defender is not the best in cold weather - although i always let the car run warm for 5-10 minutes in the winter, no matter defender or rangy.
Also because of this i would think a range rover being better, as it is more comfortable for long rides (although itll probably use more fuel) and better in the cold in my experience.

it doesnt matter if i would have a crash in the rangy or a defender - they would both be insured that the insurance company doesnt help me out (saves me money though).

which is safer, defender or a rangy?

if you need anymore infos, just reply with what you need.

cheers and have a good day.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Which is safer, defender or a rangy?

Unless Defenders changed at some point after the NAS years, they have no SRS, no crush zones behind the bumpers or even energy absorbing bumpers. Strictly on the safety issue, the only thing between you and the dash/windshield in a Defender is your lap belt and shoulder harness during a frontal impact.

Range Rovers have had front passenger SRS since 1995, addition of front side air bags in mid 1999. Range Rover safety has grown exponentially with each generation and at times with each face lift. When you add in the monocoque body with integrated chassis of the L322, safety took another giant leap forward.

If you want strictly utilitarian, buy a 110. If you want safety go with a Range Rover.

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
910 Posts
Which is safer, defender or a rangy?

Unless Defenders changed at some point after the NAS years, they have no SRS, no crush zones behind the bumpers or even energy absorbing bumpers. Strictly on the safety issue, the only thing between you and the dash/windshield in a Defender is your lap belt and shoulder harness during a frontal impact.

Range Rovers have had front passenger SRS since 1995, addition of front side air bags in mid 1999. Range Rover safety has grown exponentially with each generation and at times with each face lift. When you add in the monocoque body with integrated chassis of the L322, safety took another giant leap forward.

If you want strictly utilitarian, buy a 110. If you want safety go with a Range Rover.
If you are sitting that close to a windshield you wouldn't want an airbag anyway. Trust me. As for changing after the NAS years I am pretty sure the only thing added was antilock brakes. No roll cage (factory) on non NAS trucks either unless you add one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts