Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know about this oil spec? It is very difficult to locate. I have a 2015 RR Sport HSE with 3.0 supercharged. I have 70k on it. LR recommends Castrol and they make a Edge Professional (E) oil but once again, not readily available. I called the LR dealership and service advisor said any good full synthetic 0W20 oil would suffice. Is this true? I read online and found that the Castrol professional oil only has a dye that detects leaks. No other differences? Please help. Thanks

·
Registered
2016 TD6 and 2018 SCV8 Range Rover Sports
562 Posts
Check into Ravenol which can be purchased online at BlauParts and sent to you or possibly at a local dealer. They carry Land Rover spec oil for both gas and diesel.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Other than the Ravenol, there is also the Liqui Moly Special Tec LR Oil kit from FCP Euro:

I certainly will go this route... The best my dealer can do for 8 quarts of Castrol Professional 0w-20 Professional and an OEM Filter is $220+... The LM is half with free shipping and it's true JLR spec... probably better than Castrol Pro with it's additives. Thanks for reminding me about the Liquid Moly oil change kit.

We put 1500 miles on her from out vacation in a weeks time so it's due to be changed even though I only have 3,500 miles on this oil change due to the long trip...

·
Registered
‘16 HSE Loire Blue/Almond, Useless 3rd Row
131 Posts
Ham: Don’t forget about FCP Euro’s Lifetime Replacement Warranty: Pay for the oil change kit once. When it’s time for your next oil change, purchase another kit, ship back the old oil and filter kit, and you’ll be credited. You’ll never pay for an oil change again, sans shipping.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Ham: Don’t forget about FCP Euro’s Lifetime Replacement Warranty: Pay for the oil change kit once. When it’s time for your next oil change, purchase another kit, ship back the old oil and filter kit, and you’ll be credited. You’ll never pay for an oil change again, sans shipping.
Hey Pops... it's about that time for our Rover's Oil/Filter to be changed along with some other small maintenance punch list items...

I've recently read on here by a few members (albeit just 2 members I admit) that gave some really negative reviews about Moly Oil and FCP's filter when compared to Castrol's OEM 0w-20 oil and the OEM filter... I was kinda shocked. What are your thoughts on the LM oil and filter from FCP Euro (and others too) compared to going the Castrol and OEM filter route from the Dealer? Thanks again. I don't mind spending the extra money as these are High-Performance vehicles and demand a more dedicated maintenance schedule and specific to materials as well. I just don't want to order the LM oil and filter from FCP only to be disappointed (of which I don't think will happen...) Does it meet or exceed JLR's spec the LM and filter from FCP or am I overthinking it??? I almost stopped by the Dealer today and was feet away but thought I should ask a favorite site's members first hand first.

Thanks,
Ham

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hey Ham. I’m far from a “Bob is the Oil Guy” guy, but I have no reason to doubt the FCP Euro kit’s quality, which, based on Liqui Moly’s labeling, meets the spec. The filter is also OEM spec. If there were some specific, documented problems, I would definitely take them seriously. However, without any specific analysis, I have no reason to doubt the quality. I don’t put enough miles on my cars to know if FCP Euro’s products make a difference one way or the other. I do know that Liqui Moly has an excellent rep. Even Sreten at M539 Restorations (YouTube channel) swears by it. You could always send the results from one kit to get BL analyzed.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey Ham. I’m far from a “Bob is the Oil Guy” guy, but I have no reason to doubt the FCP Euro kit’s quality, which, based on Liqui Moly’s labeling, meets the spec. The filter is also OEM spec. If there were some specific, documented problems, I would definitely take them seriously. However, without any specific analysis, I have no reason to doubt the quality. I don’t put enough miles on my cars to know if FCP Euro’s products make a difference one way or the other. I do know that Liqui Moly has an excellent rep. Even Sreten at M539 Restorations (YouTube channel) swears by it. You could always send the results from one kit to get BL analyzed.
That is exactly how I felt and still feel about LM's oil... I'm going to order it tonight. Basically, if after the LM oil and OEM filter change I notice the engine is running quieter (she runs smooth) and when I change it at 7,500 miles it's still running quieter, smooth or smoother, and the oil is dirty as "F" then the LM has exceeded my expectations as the dirty oilfilter has caught all debris thus performing their jobs at cleaning too.

What really alarms me especially on Direct Injection Performance Engines is this... Is to drive her semi hard and at the end of 7,500 miles to discover the oil has any hint of Amber Color to it... Because that oil "Ain't Doin' Its Job" at cleaning and isn't getting to everywhere it needs to get upon the first initial cold start of the day. If it was it would be rather filthy in appearance from my experience.

Ham

ETA::: Well, it looks like I'm NOT ordering the LM from FCPeuro as it's back-ordered without an ETA... Dang-it!
I don't trust Amazon anymore after half a dozen fake "Chinese" products from fake CR-123 "Sure-Fire" batteries to fake Puma Running shoes of Chinese orientation/counterfit garbage... It could be Smuckers Jam coming from "Scam-A-Zon" these days as there is zero fidelity with amazon from the last 3 years...

·
Registered
131 Posts
It’s a fickle thing with DI and those intake valves. I haven’t seen anything on the LR forms about catch cans like I have on other forums. I have, however, read about L494 intake valves looking surprisingly clean when heads were pulled. I agree that you’re probably overthinking the oil brand. Then again, I don’t run my ride nearly as hard as you. Mine mostly lives in the garage hooked up to the CTEK.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I still can't locate the correct LM from Any online vendor that I trust... And No I most certainly don't trust the China infiltrated "Scam-A-Zon" and their repackaged counterfeits. They have the LM supposedly but I've been burnt half a dozen times with good looking packaging but were 100% counterfeits that once almost costing me, my daughter, and our GSD our lives. (True-Story, no joke...)

So Amazon is a big "hells-no"... I also see that Wall-Mart supposedly has it but I don't trust their sourcing either as it's likely also sub-par like their electronics are when compared to the same comparables to say, Best-Buy's electronics... Another story I learned the Hard-Way about in my younger years...

Anyone have a reputable online vender or site-sponsor to source the correct spec'd
Liquid-Moly itself from? I can source a legit filter from the close by Dealer no problem... I'd really appreciate the help here fellas!

I spend a good amount of time on this forum/sub L494 and the L405 forums helping fellow "members/brothers in arms" so to speak. So I would really be happy at/with anyone that can help a fellow Rover-Brother out! Thanks again in advance bro's!

-Hams

·
Registered
131 Posts
I can vouch for Blauparts, too. They’re somewhat local and I used their Ravenol trans fluid change kit, which meets JLR specs.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Many thanks to both @Mancerator & @Poppyboy for their help! I knew I could count on this forum and great group of guys and gals!

·
Registered
2019 Velar L560
89 Posts
FWIW, yesterday I ordered LM Special Tec and a filter from FCP Euro and it shipped the same day. I didn't order the kit because I don't need the drain plug, I just ordered the oil and filter as separate items.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts