RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone

My parents bought 19 years ago a range rover p 38 2.5 td. Now they are looking to buy a new one in about 5 years time. This would be a great opportunity for me to own that car. It has some sentimental value for me and therefor I want to 'restore' it a bid. Another reason is that in Belgium (where I live) the law says that cars older as 25 years can have a tax reduction. this means that I would have to pay around 50 dollar (76 euro)/ year for it.

Now As I want to keep the car original, I also want to upgrade it a bit. for instance, If possible I want to swap the 2.5 td for a original rover 4.6 v8 engine. My question to you guys is that this is a good plan, Do I need to make some modifications to let's say the chasis? Do I need to buy a automatic gearbox or Wil the manual that I have now stil work?
I also want to convert the interior to. Do you guys have some tips on what to look out for ?

I thank you for your help (srry for my bad english)

greetz

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

Everything is possible but it is not very practicle to change from a diesel to a V8. To do this you have to buy a donor car and build over a lot of parts. Download the RAVE and look in the ETM. You will see that the wiring system of the diesel is different in a lot of places. There are differences in the Fuel tank pump, cockpit instruments, AC system, Alternator, Fusebox, gearbox (the 4.6 was not offered with a manual gearbox i do not know if the manual is strong enough), gearbox ECU, reprogramming of the BECM is required and the list will go on.

It all depends on what you want. You could buy a donor car from UK (as they are cheap and there are many available) with a V8 and the right colour interior and transplant the parts.
Just the glovebox and under dash panel you need to source in locally. It would be cheaper to just buy an other car. You must realise that you will have problems to deal with if you go the transplant route and it will take a lot of your time and effort to get everything working properly.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey Jos

thanks for the reply. I understand what your saying, that was my worry. I spoke to a mate who is a mechanic and he tolt me basically the same, that I had to search a donor car etc. the time and eventually the costs will be so big for not much benefits. So my plan is basically to keep the 2.5 td and start with a revision (this is necessary because my mother drives very slow with the car and the engine is all dirty inside :D). the next step do a chip tuning.

So do you recomment a chip tuning if necessary for more power/ torque? can the gearbox handle this extra bhp/torque ? and is it even possible without mager modifications to change the turbo? ofcourse a bigger turbo will add some turbo lagg but is the effort worth it?

If someone can give me some little advise on that

regards

Laurens

1 - 3 of 3 Posts