RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys i am new to your forum and looking through it was impressed ....a lot of interesting topics...I have recently bought myself a 95 range rover diesel with 5 speed manual...just recently i parked it at my house and came out in the morning started it put it in gear and went to drive but nothing happened..It was going in gear without using the clutch has anybody any idea what the problem is any help would be appreciated many thanks ..

·
Registered
201 Posts
I don't know much about the diesel versions but perhaps the gear shift linkage has broken ? I had this happen to a VW many moons ago, turned out to be a broken plastic connector.

Chris.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Have you tried to actually drive it? IE, the gear lever moves but is it actually selecting a gear?
Does the clutch work? Can you feel resistance as you press the pedal?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a way to get it out of neutral as my switch doesnt seem to work also it was going in gear without using the clutch and clutch pedal seemed like it was working the way it should many thanks....

·
Registered
649 Posts
There is no switch to select Transfer box neutral, so I wonder which switch you mean.
Read the Owners Handbook and you will see that transfer box Neutral is selected putting a fuse in a specific spare position. You will also get an alert on the message centre.
By all means do that test, even only to eliminate Tx neutral as the fault.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a switch on the dash displays "L" with like a frosty star shape around it i was told that is hi/lo switch

·
Registered
649 Posts
fleen said:
There is a switch on the dash displays "L" with like a frosty star shape around it i was told that is hi/lo switch
Yes, that is correct, but it only selects High or Low, never neutral.
Selecting Transfer Box neutral is covered under 'Emergency Towing' in the Owners handbook.

Your earlier comment "my switch doesnt seem to work " now becomes more worrying, as you may have more than one fault.
If you press the Hi/Lo switch you should get some message in the message centre, do you?
(Ignition on, gearlever in neutral, clutch released or fully depressed).

Before I was thinking it's more likely to be a fault in the gear change linkage (inside or outside the main gearbox). Now I'm less certain, if there was a pre-existing fault.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Have you been playing with the FUSES? When there is a FUSE in position 11 (if I am correct), your gearbox will be in neutral..

Loose that FUSE and you're good to go.

Regards,
G

1 - 9 of 9 Posts