RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When starting the engine it has to crank a long time before firing up, doesn’t matter if engine is hot or cold, it will always start and it runs well, no idle issues, no stall issues. I am tearing my hair out trying to find the fault.Any suggestions as to what would cause this?Back groundNEW Genuine Lucas distributor cap and rotor arm.NEW NGK BPR6ES spark plugs.NEW Magencour leads.NEW Distributor about 4000milesECU remapped by Mark AdamsRovergauge diagnostic system plugged in and no fault codes shown up on the laptop.Many thanks Ives

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
83 Posts
@Big Ives double that on checking the timing.
Also check the ignition amplifier module (IAM) wires; I had some bizarre issues after an engine rebuild that ended up being a frayed connection going to the IAM on the distributor.

rrc_dizzy_iam.jpg

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
check your static fuel pressure, it should never drop to zero after engine has been shut down for a while (I forget the exact spec), you do not mention having replaced fuel filter.
you do not mention condition of engine internals, worn out cam lobes and piston rings have a detrimental effect on total engine performance from initial start up, ect sensor can have multiple effects on start and running as well.
look into rave for specs and compare to what you see on your display. take a look at this website "Britishv8.org" search for 14 cux.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
many thanks to everyone for there input @shastacaster, will have a look at the wiring to the amplifier but from looking at it before all neat and no apparent issues, but will check [email protected] i never checked the static fuel pressure, the more i read about this subject i am 95% convinced its the pressure regulator but will test as i have never tested it before. the engine was fully rebuilt 10,000 miles ago. the only two senors/items that appear to be original are the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel temp sensor.what surprises me when she starts she drives without any issues.will look at the internal fuel pump and the fuel pressure regulator when i get back home in a few weeks from work.i too am thinking fuel related as when she is stopped it appears the fuel drains back to the tank and there is none in the fuel rail to start her again?.in fact i cut the fuel hose and placed a non return valve in line, took her for a run but the engine didn't like that idea and i had to remove it after only a few miles and replace the complete hose.

cheers Ivan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts