RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had this 93 RR Classic for only 6 months. 82K miles and in great shape inside and out. Until now. My shop is telling me that the engine needs to be rebuilt to the tune of @ 7500.00 US. Is it worth putting in a used motor and how much should I really expect to spend. Thanks for any guidance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It had a "tinking" metalic sound when in gear. The shop said there is metal in the oil pan suggesting either bearings or rod issue. They then suggested the engine would probably have to be rebuilt. Im not exactly mechanically inclined so I have to rely on the expertise of others. Just sounds like a lot of work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tim, the problem is that there is no "real" range rover mechanic where I live except for the dealership, and they dont want to work on anything earlier than a 95 because they dont have the diagnostics for it. The important thing is, that I really want to keep the vehicle. I dont want to dump a bunch of money into exploratory surgury only to find out that I have to get a rebuilt anyway. As for cost, this is what I have found out so far from Rover cannibal.

"Good compression used engine and resealed - $1,750 and 6 month or 8K mile warranty.

Rebuilt 4.2 long block w/ installation gasket set - $3,500 and 1 year warranty.
We also offer a level 2 performance cam kit in the rebuilt 4.2 that will give you another 15% improvement in HP and torque for $595 additional.

Freight to a business address - $225
"

Any thoughts??

·
Registered
523 Posts
Give us a clue where you live, and someone may be able to suggest somewhere. However, there's nothing unusual about these engines so I'd have thought any mechanic (real mechanic, not a laptop-using parts-swapper) should be very at home. After all, it's a 1960's engine, so if they can't work on that they don't deserve the title 'mechanic'.

·
Registered
6 Posts
check with guys like will tillery in VA (roverguy.com) or roverdude in socal.

check other boards as well. if someone is parting a LWB, i bet you could get an engine cheap.

FWIW, i haven't heard anything good about car cannibal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More questions...

I have been told that it will cost approxiately $2000.00 US in labor alone to install a new, used, or rebuilt 4.2 motor in my RR Classic. Does anyone have any insight as to similar cases in the US. Keep in mind that in the Madison WI area, the Range Rovers are not real common, especially the older models so the talent bench may not be very deep here, if that even matters. Question is, does the cost sound appropriate??

Any feedback would be appreciated. I am going to keep this vehicle, I just want to find the cheapest, most efficient way to get it rolling again.

Thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
4.2 engines with 100,000 mi go for $750, This swap takes about 20 hrs. So your mechanic is making $100 an hour. It's tempting to drive up there with my spare engine and do the swap for you. If you're patient you can find a parts car for $350- $500 and have all the parts you need for the next 2 years. I'm not saying that Rovers are high maintenance or need lots of parts but you never know when you'll need some odd part.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
A plug and play engine swap isnt rocket science. If you and a couple budies are working at it you should have it done on a weekend. Maybe just a saturday. Tools will run you about $300, beverage $50, engine lift $200, engine $850 shipped. So for $1400 you have tools that you can use for the rest of your life so in reality all the engine swap really cost you is the cost of the motor.

Buddy up with someone from you local Land Rover club.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dr. Leo, Classic Jack

Thanks for your input and suggestions. Unfortunately, we dont have a local club, nor do I know anyone local who is a mechanic. However, I have found that posting a request on Craigslist reveals several mechanics who fly solo and work for roughly 35-45/hour.

Dr. Leo, where can I find an 850.00 motor.

An epiphony....Any RR enthusiest/mechanics who, by chance, are willing to travel to the Madison WI area, the "Tooker Bed and Breakfast" has vacancies. There's even an awesome farmers market here on Sat. Additionally, I have an 11 drawer Stanley Vidmar tool cabinet that I would be willing to swap for some labor and/or parts. I probably even have some extra tools I dont need. (NO, I have not lost my mind, just my job).

Thanks again for your collective suggestions.

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Ebay, junk yards, Scotty the forum member, some of the breakers in the UK can get you a engine cheap. At the end of the summer I could probby make it up your way to help you for a week or so. Just supplie a room at that lovely bed and breakfast your telling us about. :thumb: I will have the Rover full of tools if you still need help.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
138 Posts
Looks like a great truck, just get that ding on the rear right corner fixed and will be mint.

With a track that nice, if it were mine, I'd be getting a nice new 4.6L built for it or a nice strong Rover V8 of smaller capacity with a hot cam.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have an update on my motor replacement.

It appears my procrastination may have payed off this time. In Madison, WI where I live, the former Range Rover Dealership Service Manager left his post and started his own small shop working on Range Rovers.

This is how I found him...This guy approached me while at my daughters Karate class and said his friend just started a new RR business.( He was driving a P38 under construction). This was yesterday.

So, I brought it to him today, he walked out of his shop, shook my hand and said he heard I might be coming by. So..... after a quick look and listen underneath, I DONT NEED A MOTOR. I need a catalytic converter! Next week I am to bring it in and he will perform a safety check on the entire truck. Now I can finally get this squared away. So how much is a converter??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts