RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to undergo soundproofing and insulation from firewall heat. While cleaning everything up I've ran into a couple of challenges.
  • What tape is used to tape the wiring looms to the interior body. It appears to be a fabric of sorts. I would like to replace with something that withstand the heat of the firewall and the roof? (see attachment)
  • Should the main roof wiring just be tapped to the roof? (see attachment)
  • Does anyone know how to get the seat rails off the bottom of the seats, what keeps them from sliding off? It's a 1985 four door.
I'll upgrade the group with photos as it progresses.

IMG_9629.jpg

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ohh nice an early Range Rover. 3 speed I am guessing. Looking real nice and very good condition.

Don't know about the tape but liking your picture there. Gives me some good info on the electric window wiring, which on my car seems to be run on the wring side and interfering with the hand brake, so thanks for that.

Quick question, what is the black rubber/plastic piece fitted on the back of the tunnel top offset to the right? I have a blanking plate there. Is it some sort of heater channel?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. That is for heat. Based on research, rear seat heat was added. It’s missing the rest of the vent which should direct it under the console. I found it at John Craddock. It’s one of many pieces in my shopping cart waiting to purchase.

While I have it apart please let me know if you’d like to see any other photos.

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
219 Posts
I'm very curious what you results with the soundproofing will be, I've been wanting to do it to mine. It's pretty quite around town, but the roar on the freeway (between engine noise, drivetrain noise, wind noise, etc) gets annoying for long trips. Obviously wind noise comes with being shaped like a brick, but I'd love to deaden the other stuff. I don't notice it too much until switching from my wife's new outback, which is eerily quiet at 75mph and makes the noise of the rover all the more apparent. Them new-fangled cars have it all worked out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will update the group once it's back on the road. I have been reading between 70-80 db in the truck using an iPhone app. My largest concern is tire noise and the whine from the three speed transmission. The headliner is flexing as well but I think some foam blocks will fix that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
In my '91 I have stuck some Dynamat equivalent on all the floors and wherever I could get on the tunnel without removing the center carpet, then added a 10mm layer of closed cell foam. It did help a lot with the engine and transmission noise, but at speed wind and even more tire noise is greater.
Next step is to stick some secondary door seals, Overfinch-style, around the windows and between the door and body gaps. That should help with the wind noise. I think not much can be done to reduce tire noise, apart switching to less aggressive tires of course.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I have tesa tape to repair the harness. But what I’m looking for is the wider tape used to tape it down to the body or up to the roof. It doesn’t seem to be the same material.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Get hold of your local aircon guy and get a roll of the real duct tape Natasha I thinks it called. Sticks like sh## to a blanket

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I will give that a try.

Get hold of your local aircon guy and get a roll of the real duct tape Natasha I thinks it called. Sticks like sh## to a blanket

·
Registered
2 Posts
An extremely sticky tape is "Gaffers tape" used in the movie industrie .You can get it at fleabay or expendables movie supply companies.It comes in different sizes,I use 3 inch to retain wiring like that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. That is the first tape that I found that looked similar.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some updates. Getting quieter. Almost everything back together. Next, finish up the exhaust (been a challenge). Dynamat, Dynaliner and then Second Skin Audio MLV 1/4.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Very clean! Keeping existing audio components or upgrading?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m rocking a JBL3 :) Fits perfect in the center console shelf. I’ve replaced the radio with an empty radio shelf. If I do add a new radio I’d like to add speakers in the rear doors versus the rear headliner. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I’m rocking a JBL3 :) Fits perfect in the center console shelf. I’ve replaced the radio with an empty radio shelf. If I do add a new radio I’d like to add speakers in the rear doors versus the rear headliner. Any suggestions?
ah yes! I have a Bose similar thing or AirPods for anything truly vintage. for my 87, I ended up going with retrosound speakers, which wasnt ideal. But the profile height in the door panels for 87-89 is super slim. 5.25" slims worked with factory. I have some awful Kenwood head unit to tide me over till I can fins something that is useful, utilitarian and not ugly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just installed the Kenwood Bluetooth Amp in my Defender and ditched the head unit. Everything is now run through my phone. It's super small and could easily go under the dash, in a cubby or under a seat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Beautiful car, nice job has been done to it. Just in case you are interested we do build parts out from composite materials such as fiber glass and Kevlar, among them the interior central console, the seat bracket cover, Footwell Trim Suffix A right and left panels, interior rear right and left panels, Brooklands bumper kit front and rear, front spoiler, front grill, right and left front fenders, engine fan cover, OEM reproduction Snorkel and son on. If you are interest you can write us to [email protected] also you can take a look of some of our jobs in https://www.facebook.com/pg/WCC-Soluciones-COMAR-1768325690065517/about/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts