RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. So I recently towed my 1994 Range Rover classic behind my Uhaul from California to New Jersey and noticed after driving through a rain storm, the front left and right floor wells were wet. I checked the sunroof drains and they are patent, the windshield and windshield gasket are both brand new and do not leak (I sprayed it with a hose and no leaks). I then took off the hood fresh air vents and noticed what looks like remnants of a strip of gasket or filter in front of the fresh air vent door. Is anything missing? I have already replaced the three fresh air intake vent filters (MXC3910), but I think that rain still gets through the filters, entering the ventilation system when the vent is open (it only closes when recirculate is selected on the HVAC controls) and dripping down each side. Is there any other barrier that should be there that may have disintegrated, now allowing the water to come in? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
993 Posts
There is a mesh filter that fits into each vent... when you were pulling it... if the front was elevated it might have held water in the vent area... it could have overflowed
I have a set of the filters I will take a picture

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tested the drain in the cowl and they drain perfectly. Therefore I think that the water in the mesh filters is being blown into the HVAC because there isn't anything to block it. If you see the highlighted/circled area in the picture, there is something that was there but has probably deteriorated. I just wanted to see what the original piece looks like.

·
Registered
993 Posts
C250EFEE-811A-44B9-B924-890A9EA869D5.jpeg
14B53469-8D6C-4505-B33C-3DF752D85FBC.jpeg
1A908D1E-B6A9-4100-80BD-FFD4C8B242AD.jpeg
63CE38BE-A174-4D8F-8D8F-A21F7F8D8F37.jpeg

this what the originals look like

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Those filters look very good. I ended up buying this filter at Home Depot and cutting it to fit:

Cleaned it up in there the best I could before stuffing them in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks ... they do look good...
Found them + others at the junk yards
Early in my quest for all stuff Range Rover... these would have been looked over back then...
Your idea is the way to go
Way less expensive
Than anything on internet... looks like a nice hardy filter...
I didn’t even know they took a filter till I found a set in an old rover...
live and learn kinda moment...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the original filters that fit in the three vents (MXC3910). But is there another filter or piece which is in between the vents and fresh air HVAC door inside the cowl?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yes there is a piece that fits in the back to hold the filter in place
It is like a half inch bar rivited to the back

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm, the bar is there. So there is another filter that sits in front of the HVAC door? (aside from the three vent filters)

·
Registered
993 Posts
Mine just has the three filters and three vents... I don’t know about the second filter..the original filters do have a frame
On the inside of the filter ...that makes it rigid..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I noticed that the slats in the vents are slanted. Once installed, are they supposed to be angled upwards or downwards?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Downward ...rain drains off better ..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are these the vents you are talking about? (not my car, but a good pic) I was just checking my oil and noticed that I could shine a light straight through them, no filters or anything, and could see some wires and other things back there. If this is where those filters go, I should probably go to Home Depot myself... Anyone know if you can pop off the plastic covers outwards (not taking the cowling off) or do they have to go inwards, towards the cabin?

What's the overall purpose of these vents, too? Is behind these where fresh air is pulled in for the HVAC? It sounds like that's the case from reading above.

·
Registered
993 Posts
The vents come off from the outside... there are little plastic pieces in between the vents that come off first...
They are old and break easily... if they are there at all...
the filters are to keep stuff from piling up under the cowl...also it does feed fresh air into the heater assembly
There is a flap in assembly.. under the cowl
Also removing the cowl is a huge pain
I would suggest only do it if you have to...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes that's where the air for the heater comes in.
Fun fact, the AC has a separate fan and air for that fan only comes from the inside - so if you have only AC on you also have recirculation, and there's no way around it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm going to pull the Bonnet and Decker this weekend and see if I can find any leak paths. I've checked just about every other possible leak path...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts