RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I'm new to this blog and am the owner of a 1989 3.9L Range Rover Classic with a ZF 4HP22 gearbox.
Unfortunately the gearbox broke down (while towing another British Leyland creation :razz:) after which the car could only drive in reverse.... (which was an interesting trip back home to say the least). I have now found a new gearbox, but it is 4HP22 gearbox from what is described as a 1999 4.0L range rover, will this fit on my 1989 classic?

kind regards,

Yannick

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
there are most likely different electronics between and 89 RR and a 99. 99 had the Sport option in high range and manual gear locking in low range as the 89 has no "H gate" I doubt they are interchangeable. You may be better off having your tranny rebuilt.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
If possible go look at the 4hp22
I think they are going to be the same as the zf 4hp22
They are a simple transmission
It can’t hurt to look at it
The cool think about rovers is most everything is the same

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
any year discovery 1 will fit with out issues altou the torque converter may vary, discovery 2 and range rover p38 had electronic controlled transmissions. they will bolt on but will not shift with out a compushift controller and different flexplate/flywheel.
as stated above, make sure the unit being installed is a an HP and not an HP"E". "E" denominates electronic

1 - 5 of 5 Posts