RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any advice on this issue please? My fuel gauge always over reads significantly, the only saving grace is that I believe the low fuel light is accurate, and this comes on when the gauge needle is telling me I have about 1/2 tank of petrol.

What I have done so far is to remove the fuel pump from the tank and clean off the sender part with carb cleaner and a cotton bud. I also cleaned up the connectors (mine is the early 3.9 version with a 3 pin round plug connector and a separate black wire with a spade terminal) and WD40'd them prior to refitment.

This had no effect so earlier this week I fitted a "new" pump and sender that was only about 6 months old. The pump is certainly quieter than the 20 year old original but the low fuel light came on and stayed on and I had only put £20 petrol in that morning so that was less accurate than the old pump/sender. I put another £20 petrol in today and that has had the effect of the low fuel light going out, but I now have even less confidence in the blinkin' fuel gauge and reserve light than I was before.

Might it be the gauge in the instrument panel at fault? Or the wiring from the pump to the clocks? Would I need to fill the tank to "bed in" the new sender as I really cannot afford £100+ of petrol!?

Wondering if anyone else has suffered with this annoyance and, most saliently, fixed it!?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,086 Posts
I set the trip meter when I fill up, I have a 110 l tank so I make sure I get fuel at no later than 500 km.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
149 Posts
Do you have a metal or plastic tank?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a plastic tank model, so at least I have an easy access hatch in the bootfloor to get to the fuel pump and sender.
Come on chaps, some more advice please - relying on a trip meter is not an option for a neatfreak like me!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,086 Posts
Well all I can think of is
you have a non standard tank so the gauge doesn't work with it
the new gauge you bought is faulty

I would think that to try and calibrate it you would need to drain the tank and play with the levels, you would need a 22 gallon drum of fuel and a lot of patience, plus if you get a spark anywhere you would have a big problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts