Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, My 1989 RRC is randomly not starting, most of the time turns over perfectly (its got an Isuzu 2.8 TD engine in btw), but occasionally when I turn the igniton I just hear a click. Out of frustration the other day, I just kept turning the igniton and it decided to start!. It does this rarely but does anyone have any idea what it could be?

· Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,307 Posts
Your starter motor is on the way out. Could be a poor earth from worn brushes/commutator or maybe a solenoid that is sticky. It will get worse and eventually stop working at all.

If it gets stuck and won't turn at all, tapping the back of the starter with a hammer will get you out of trouble for a while.

· Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,307 Posts
Probably not - there is likely a dodgy spot on the commutator and when the brushes are sitting on it you don't get an earth, that is why it is intermittent, but once it starts turning, most of the commutator is ok. Best way to check it - next time it isn't turning, bridge across the two big terminals on the solenoid with a big screwdriver - if it is the solenoid the motor will turn, and if its the motor it won't turn. This test isn't one hundred percent if the motor is working intermittently.

Slow turning would indicate low voltage (battery), high resistance (crook earth) or mechanical problem such as a tight bearing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.