RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my 2005 Range Rover HSE TD6 since August, 7 weeks of those roughly it's been at the dealership! Typical much? Anyway, it's also had the battery replaced not long after I got it, but most recently it's started draining the battery itself. If I charge it up overnight it will give about two days worth of starts and then the battery will be dead again. I've done a bit of digging around so far but can't really seem to make heads or tales on this one! Any ideas anyone? Or has anyone come across this issue? There does seem to be a humming noise coming from behind the dash there when it's turned off, I've remained in the car for aprox 5 minutes and it was still vaguely going (slight hum)

Cheers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wolf01 said:
maverixz said:
Update: Visited with the independent yesterday morning @9.30am where he said he was still trying to diagnose the problem but from his research on Friday, he suspects a bad starter. Got a call later @2pm that the car was fixed and the issue was due to corroded connection wires on the starter especially starter to battery cable all of which were cleaned. Total charge for this was $270 (which includes the towing fee of $57)

??? It's the starter motor? That link directs me to that post...

·
Registered
623 Posts
I doubt it's related, but I had an '08 RR that I bought new and kept for almost a year before selling at a huge loss. Anyhow, my battery started to go dead on it and the service manager told me, don't laugh too hard, that that's the way these cars are and you can't let them sit for more than a couple of days before the battery wears down!!! TOTAL **. But, they could never find the problem and told me that's normal.

·
Registered
131 Posts
That is a service manager that should be without a job.

LR1 said:
I doubt it's related, but I had an '08 RR that I bought new and kept for almost a year before selling at a huge loss. Anyhow, my battery started to go dead on it and the service manager told me, don't laugh too hard, that that's the way these cars are and you can't let them sit for more than a couple of days before the battery wears down!!! TOTAL **. But, they could never find the problem and told me that's normal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Same thing happened to my 03' almost immediately after I bought it. Might have even been the reason I got it so cheap! I found this forum and found that it is a common problem. Replaced the final stage resistor, about $85.00 and problem solved. It not hard to replace at all!

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my Sport it was the rear glass tailgate lock. This was corroded putting a short on the wiring which flattened the battery in no time.
If you have such a switch on the tailgate try operating it by hand and if you can hear the lock work it is ok if not the switch has shorted and requires renewal. This is easy on the Sport just removing a few "torque head" screws holding the fascia in in the bottom of the glass panel gives access to the "electric lock" which pushes out when you lever in the two plastic tabs. Hope this helps. Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 08 Vogue SE 3.6 TDV8. This battery issue and starting issue has been a real problem for me.
Firstly the battery appears to keep running low regardless of how many times I drive it. I do have an Optimate that gets hooked up religiously when my RR is parked. The Optimate maintains the battery charge. But I still have battery drain issues.
Now the battery is completely dead and after charging it again there is a burning plastic smell coming out from the left side of the engine when your facing the car.
In winter when the car has a real tough the starting up.
An suggestions?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Guys

I have a problem to. Replacing resistor did not help. I had leaking rear wiper motor but this is not a issue eather.
I gave my car to mechanic found 0.5A drain could not find it where as when in locked moves triggered alarm.

Do you have any ideas where to look for?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Cezar - you didn't post your year or model. Definitely helpful to add to signature.

I think for 07+ a common failure point is the hood alarm sensor.

For 03-05 (my vehicle) I replaced the FSR to no avail. Then the hood alarm sensor to no avail. Finally found the Navigation unit (MKIII) was randomly coming on draining the battery in 2 days. Solution: replace with MKIV OR leave MKIII disconnected. (The unit is in the trunk on the US drivers side) The Navigation Unit was causing a 0.6A drain.

Now I can leave it parked and not worry about it dying!! YES!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

I have 2004 td6 without nav (basic BMW audio).I have read about Webasto (parking heater) getting wet but boot looks dry so i doubt that is a water damage. Is there a way I can stay inside to remove fuses without triggering alarm?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Should be able to pull fuses without an issue. Just unlock the car with the remote to disarm the system. Hopefully your draw is 100% of the time so you will instantly see when you've pulled the correct fuse. Mine was random.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, I have a 2005 vogue, same problem with power drain, or so I thought. Took in LR they had no clue, took it to independent garage who said that they run an X5 short journeys to work etc left the battery flat, after all sorts of testing they put a genuine oe battery on it and it solved all problems. After having a brand new Bosch battery fitted only 3 months previously I opted to go with their option and at over £200 had a genuine LR battery, been 100% ever since.

The only other thing they said as a test was to leave the car unlocked, or disconnect the alarm, apparently if your near a phone transmitter it can keep turning the alarm on, draining the battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, my Range Rover 2006 Supercharged has a battery not charging problem and something is draining the battery, could be the automatic electric air suspension I don’t know. The alternator red warning battery light is always on and does not switch off only when you rev it a bit hard then switches off but switches back on. I put another extremely charged battery in it, will start and drive as normal but after less than 10 km it switches off with no warning lights or power, the charged battery from another vehicle is now completely dead. I need suggestions and a solution please.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,670 Posts
Titus, if your alternator light is on it is a pretty big indicator you need to have your alternator checked and/or replaced. Your EAS is not going to have enough of a drain to cause this issue and changing batteries has nothing to do with the functionality of the alternator that charges them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The power drain on my Vogue turned out to be a bodged Entertainment install, I ended up having most of it stripped out, but the root cause was a live being taken from a relay in the back that resulted in the car being woken up every time it tried to sleep, poor thing was knackered!! Pics attached, it was a very scary day..
IMG_0272.JPG
IMG_0273.JPG
IMG_0274.JPG
IMG_0275.JPG

·
Registered
2 Posts
GPS NAV UNIT BATTERY DRAIN.
Im not using my vogue atm so decided to check a few things out one of which was the infernal battery drain. I had read somewhere about the gps unit so decided to check it out. Sure enough the gps unit was hot even though the car was locked and had not been used so i disconnected it now its been 5 days without use and no starting problems at all . I have started my car every day with 3min max running time to test. I had a major drain so much so that i had a battery isolation switch installed. Obviously the isolator has not been used for this test. Long story short go to your car take the internal lhs panel in the luggage area off and feel for warmth at the base of the unit mine was warm to hot. Due to never using this system and being outdated i disconnected it. Five days now without drain issues. Hope this helps.
  1. 281557

1 - 19 of 19 Posts