RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Range Rover 4.2 v8 2006 Supercharged
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've decided to fix my dad's old rr, and can't find out what the problem I have is. I've e looked all over and the only thing I could find is that it might be a supercharger nose cone..
So I decided to ask you guys :)

So the problem is that there is a rattiling sound coming from the engine, the rattling is intense while the engine is cold however when it warms up it stops.. The rattling also starts when I remove the oil cap(timing chains and guides maybe?)

Here's a video of the engine warmed up and what happens when I open the oil cap.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
121 Posts
i think you can remove the serpentine belt to see if noise goes away in supercharger. also may want to pull valve covers and take a look at what you can see of the chains and guides for damage. I inspected mine that way and saw broken guides. mine wasn't as noisy as yours and went away much faster, only made noise for a few seconds. chains guides tensioners and sprockets fixed it

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Most petrol motors with hydraulic guides and VVT will knock with oil cap off. Even my 2014 Sport with a 5.0.
Just don't do it.
Otherwise it sounds fine.

Reactions: Herethere123

·
Registered
Range Rover 4.2 v8 2006 Supercharged
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies,
That's what I was thinking, but wanted to ask on here first since I may not be the only one with the problem, the sound is very specific so I wanted to see what you guys would say. It is most probably the chains and guides...
Can you guys recommend any good rr parts store in Europe or should I try main dealer?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
178 Posts
am surprised yours didnt stall when you took the oil cap off? also what lpg system are you running :p

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
You don't have to replace ANYTHING.
It's Normal.
Indicates some wear but nothing you should be worried about.
Just drive it.

If it is doing it when cold, replace the oil filter and oil. Some rattle for 2-3 seconds can happen even on the AJ-V8s from long term oil intervals. I wouldn't do anything about it. My 2007 did it..until 150k miles when I sold it, now the carfax keeps getting updated with higher and higher mileage.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
121 Posts
how about a video of it running when warmed up?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts