RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
121 Posts
i replaced the tpms mod in my 2008 and it fixed the intermittent dash light issue. bought part at dealer and installed in the parking lot (unit in right rear compartment as stated).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can anyone please tell me where in the world the spare tire antenna is located? The RAVE manual only shows 4 sensors and antenna, but there are 5 including the spare. Is it maybe mounted underneath the vehicle? I could not see it in the spare tire wheel well. It seems that it is a state secret that can not be shared!

·
Registered
2011 RRSC
73 Posts
As I understand it, the “antenna’s” you are referring to are only for brodcasting a signal to the tpms sensor and dictate when they broadcast the pressure. Per the rave the receiver is located above the front map light console.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As I understand it, the “antenna’s” you are referring to are only for brodcasting a signal to the tpms sensor and dictate when they broadcast the pressure. Per the rave the receiver is located above the front map light console.
I don't know if they broadcast (they might), but the function I know they perform is to receive the signal from the TPMS sensors that are in the wheels. The two front TPMS sensors are in the front part of the front wheelwells. I believe that the two rears are in the rear part of the rear wheelwells per the illustration. I have actually replaced a front so I know where they are but am just going by the illustrations for the rear. As far as the spare, it is a mystery. It has to be mounted somewhere in the proximity of the spare wheelwell in order to pick up the TPMS signal from the wheel, but that's all I know.

I think you are referring to a control module. I have seen posts saying that it is in the right rear storage compartment and others saying that it is in the front map console as you say. Maybe there are even two control modules ---- I don't know, but I am looking for that little antenna for the spare, not a control module. It is not documented well, but someone must have run across it (at least I hope so) to know where it is.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Vitop, what year and model of L322 do you have? Not all rigs in the ANCIENT thread are 2007s. There is only 1 control module whether you have 4 or 5 monitored tyres.

·
Registered
2011 RRSC
73 Posts
Per the rave the control module is in the right rear. The “antennas” you are referring to send a signal to the tpms sensors in your wheels and do not receive. The receive antenna is located above the map lights, again per the rave manual. There is no initiator antenna for the spare sensor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Per the rave the control module is in the right rear. The “antennas” you are referring to send a signal to the tpms sensors in your wheels and do not receive. The receive antenna is located above the map lights, again per the rave manual. There is no initiator antenna for the spare sensor.
That does not make sense to me. The TPMS sensors are the only thing in the car that know what the pressure in the tires are. They have to transmit this information to the car in order for the car to know if the pressure is correct. If the antenna sends data to the TPMS sensors, how does the system get tire pressure information? The Tire TPMS sensors must transmit.

I would also have another question that does not make sense to me. I had a message that my spare tire pressure was low when I first got the car. It turned out to be a damaged spare tire. How does the system get information about the spare tire if there is no corresponding antenna?

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is from the Range Rover Manual

It must be for a different year because it talks about a reset switch, but it would still pertain as to the flow of information. The sensors in the tires do in fact transmit information to the antennas.

General
The Tyre Pressure Monitoring (TPM) system continuously monitors tyre pressures so long as vehicle battery power
is available. If a low tyre pressure is detected, the system alerts the driver via the message centre when the ignition
is on. The system monitors the tyre pressure of each road wheel and the full size spare wheel. The tyre pressure of
a space saver spare wheel is not monitored.
The TPM system consists of the following components:
l A reset switch
l A tyre sensor in each monitored wheel
l An antenna in each wheelarch
l An ECU.
The tyre sensors measure the air pressure and temperature in the tyres and transmit the readings in radio signals at
a frequency of 433 MHz. The radio signals are received by the antennas and transferred to the TPM ECU, which
compares the information from the tyre sensors with nominal pressures stored in memory, and alerts the driver if a
tyre pressure decreases from the nominal pressure by more than the permitted limit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am also trying to find the part numbers to the fasteners for the TPMS antennas. Land Rover does not seem to include them on their parts illustrations. Does anyone know of a source to get their fastener part numbers?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Ryan, Vitop is dead on. Again, there is only one TPMS module. The valve stem sensors transmit to the antenna in each wheel arch. The four/five antenna RECEIVE the reading from the sensors and pass on the sensor info to the TPMS module. If one sensor reads low or high PSI the module triggers the dash message and TPMS idiot light.

·
Registered
2011 RRSC
73 Posts
I stand by all I have said previously. Info was pulled directly out of the the workshop manual which can be downloaded and read in a few minuets. I can also email out a copy of the tpms section to anyone interested however I do not know how to copy and paste the text from the pdf into a post. Yes there is only one tpms module in the right rear. The receive antenna is located above the map lights and the "antennas" located at each wheel are a passive initiator that broadcast a signal to the wheel sensor. Having struggled through tpms problems on my 2007 for nearly a year and no useful responses to my questions from this site I trained my self in the operation of this system through the workshop manual literature and general understanding of how the system works. I did manage to solve my problems in the end. If you believe I am wrong my response would be that the workshop manual is also wrong.

·
Registered
2011 RRSC
73 Posts
There seems to be a bit of confusion here. There is no initiator antenna for the spare. The TPMS module uses an initiator antenna at each of the four road wheels to send a signal to the tpms sensor. When the sensor receives the signal it broadcasts its data and the receiver mounted above the map lights receives the signal from all five sensors. It is not made clear how the spare sensor deciphered but since it is not rotating the sensor remains in a "park" mode and only broadcasts the signal every so often. The initiators allow the computer to differentiate the sensors and their locations for the road wheels only. What is the problem you are trying to overcome?

·
Registered
30 Posts
My TPMS light comes on every so often. I also have to replace one of my shocks. I thought since I had to take that inner fender off, that I would also just replace all of the initiators and tire sensors. If it came back, then I suppose it had to either be the part in the overhead or the module in the back. I think the sensors are old enough that they are probably starting to go out.

·
Registered
2011 RRSC
73 Posts
You need a diagnoatic tool to diagnose, unlikely that the antennas are bad. Most likely fault is the tpms module in the right rear. A good tire shop can test the sensors for battery life/function. Are you getting a notice along with the light and if so which notice? If it where a faulty sensor it would tell you which one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You need a diagnoatic tool to diagnose, unlikely that the antennas are bad. Most likely fault is the tpms module in the right rear. A good tire shop can test the sensors for battery life/function. Are you getting a notice along with the light and if so which notice? If it where a faulty sensor it would tell you which one.
I am looking for a good TPMS diagnostic tool that works with this car.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Thanks for this thread. I will get sensors checked but if they have a battery in them then not surprised that after 10 years they may be reluctant to transmit. Hoping its not the module.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts