RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Range Rover L322 HSE
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, well it seems my 2000 4.6 has started stalling randomly. It started the other day while backing out of the garage, started fine and ran for 30 seconds or so then backed out and it stalled. Restarted just fine and ran the rest of the drive with no issues. Then the other night it stalled as I pulled into a parkiing lot and restarted fine. Last night it stalled after pulling away from a stop sigh...again restarted fine.

Wife is afraid to drive it so she has been driving the 96 4.0

From past experience of similar issues on the 96 its been a fuel pump or crank sensor. fuel pump issue on 96 was it just died and wouldnt restart, crank sensor was dying below 1000 rpm's.

I have no fault codes or check engine light...any ideas??

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
888 Posts
Have you checked the fuel filter? I had a problem like this (not a P38, though) that was the fuel filter.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was a thought, I have taken it out and run it pertty hard and seems to run fin under full throttle, but could still be an issue there.

I guess I can pull it out and see if it is dirty or not

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pulled the fuel filter and tapped it with the input side down and nothing really came out thet looked bad or dirty. Will pull the crank sensor and check the tipp to see if anything looks odd with it or not, will check fuses and relays as well

any other thoughts on what to look at??

Maybe coil packs or bad ground??

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
86 Posts
I have the same problem, I read on here that it may be the Mass air flow sensor needs cleaning, I sent off for some Maf spray but seems like the postman needs it too! just my luck.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still have the random stalling happening, cleaned the MAF but now also have the Traction control failure and ABS failure in the display as well as the dash lights on

Im thinking an electrical issue now

Going to test the electrical in a bit after it cools down a bit and see if anything there is a issue

Beginning to worry about going to the store anymore. Guess the 96 is going to have to become the daily driver again until this stalling gets sorted out.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
have you tried to scan it. i know you are not showing the check engine light, but it could be burnt out.

sounds like a crank position sensor to me though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor tonight....OMG was that ever the most frustrating thing to do..I would have rather pulled the motor and rebuilt it, probably been easier.

1 hand only in the space, up between the Driveshaft and exhaust, then fingers between the Trans cooler pipes. Pull the little cover. I didnt see the spacers until one fell off pulling the sensor out...I didnt know where it came from so had to search about 100 pages in the rave before I found where they went.

Will take it out for a drive tomorrow and see if it stalls out or not. Next project is the ABS and traction warning lights on the dash.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
it will take about 100 miles or so for the ECU to rest itself to the new sensor. once it does it'll be really nice. That's what mine did when i replaced it.

good luck. fat hands suck! ask me I know.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks getlost4X4.

Seems to run good so far with no stalls, got maybe 20 miles on it so far...quick errand the long way.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK wife today was left stranded. car stalled and then restarted only to sputter enough to get her into a parking spot. so it seems the Crank position sensor wasnt the issue, going to check the fuel pump next and maybe a new fuse box as the one thats there now has been rebuil by me awhile back.

any way..the car is sitting in a parking lot waiting for me to tow it home because it wont start and when it tries it just bumps like its trying but never fully fires

1 - 11 of 11 Posts