RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I just bought my first Range Rover today!

1998 Range Rover HSE 4.6 V8 P38 (Beige)

Fantastic condition inside and out (really surprised) and only 98k Miles.

I just replaced the battery and I am having a few issues:

1: Doors locking and unlocking randomly when driving
2: When I lock all the doors manually and then close the passenger or drivers door, all the doors unlock. (So essentially I cannot lock the car)
3: Drivers door not able to open from the inside.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I would love to know how to open the panel and figure this out for myself as it seems like it would be a v expensive thing to have to take to a mechanic.

Look forward to being an active part of this forum!

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
Very common, most P38 owners will experience a failing latch at some point. See the stickie above for front door latch testing. If you have issues with opening the rear hatch, start with the passenger latch because the tailgate gets it's ground from the front passenger latch.

Not being able to open driver door from the inside is most likely a failed rod retaining clip.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
770 Posts
RRTH has basically covered it, failed latch, and either disconnected rod or broken cable.
where abouts in the world are you, so you can be pointed in the right direction.
removing a door panel is easy, gently prise the tweeter out , remove screw at top corner of door panel. , remove screw behind the door handle, 2 screws in the pull handle, and start levering the panel off starting in a bottom corner. Try not to rip the vapour barrier behind the panel, gently cut the sealant away

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
one last addition.. check cables to outstation and the rod from in inside handle to the latch often breaks on the latch side where the round white plastic thingy is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts