RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. 2006 Range Rover Sport HSE

Rain and damp has caused Nav screen and Radio/Media/Telephone panel to stop working. Hoping some heat might bring them back but failing that I've seen that the Nav unit is under the drivers seat - If I disconnect and clean that unit might it come back? - or is there another cpu/computer somewhere? - and where might I start looking for the phone/radio module?

Thanks.

Matt.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
878 Posts
It is rare for electronics to come back after a soaking. It's not impossible, just not likely.

Sorry, I don't know the component locations for your year.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIV / L405
331 Posts
It could be the rain ( I live in West Hills, so I know what you are talking about). But.....I have had my Nav-Entertainment unit freeze, go black and get stuck on a crappy station before. There are 4(?) fuses that need to be pulled to get the Nav-Ent system properly rebooted. Pull out your manual and pull any fuse that relates to the above. If that doesnt fix it, pull the side carpet in the left rear of the load space, thats where some of the offending boxes are. If you see moisture then you have a draining issue that needs to be dealt with first.

You said that there are some components under the front seat (I have a 2005) but I trust you have some homework on the Jag 2006. The seat is easy to check. Direct the seat back until you see the front bolts. Remove front bolts. Move the seat forward to expose the rear bolts. Remove rear bolts. Tilt seat back and feel the carpet and everything in the area. Unplug a few things...get all Columbo down there.

I really think its a Nav-Ent gremlin that needs a cntrl-Alt-Del by pulling fuses. BUT, BUT, BUT, it never rains in California (hahahahahha) so our drain holes tend to fill up with years, decades of dead leaves. So when it does get all biblical, the drains overflow.

Oh, crap.....I actually have some useful info for you. First, go buy a Icarsoft OBD reader for your RR. Its about $150 on Ebay..worth its weight in gold, store it in the cargo space on the right side.

If you dont resolve you issue pronto, go over to Yorks and Lancs in Chatsworth. I have had various RR's for over 12 years. These guys are knowledgeable, professional and trustworthy. One time I had mouse damage. They hooked up their computer, printed out pictures of where the connections were that could be causing the problems and sent me on my way (they know I like to do my own work). I found the chewed wires in 5 minutes with their help. I can not recommend them more. Bonus is you are super close to them.

Hope this helps you out. The L322 is a great rig, but sometimes things go bonkers. Most of the time its a simple fix or superior knowledge from here.

Good luck and report back so other people can learn from your fix!!

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
58 Posts
This happened during very wet weather to my 07 full size RR. I removed the interior trim cover to the dvd changer (and bunches of other electronic stuff), then drove for an hour with heat on full, with the window cracked, and function returned. However, the cause, leakage, remained.

I first made certain the sunroof drains were clear, as directed by many past threads. Still leaking. The cause on my RR was the main seal around the lift/tail gate. This was actually filling my spare tire well with water and that foreign moisture was fouling the neighboring electronics. Although the surface sealing rubber looked just fine, once removed it was obvious that where it attaches underneath to the body flange it was no longer making tight contact.

As a temporary, but successful fix, I forced Plumber's Putty into the groove all the way around (a chore, and race to finish before the putty stiffens), then replaced the seal. No issues since and waiting until dry season to buy and install new seal.

Good luck with yours.

Lance

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
414 Posts
Depends how much water got in - is it wet in the area under drivers seat ? You could try disconnecting all connectors and spray in both ends with electrical contact spray and reconnect - but if water got in the box - just drying it is unlikely to work. Pull and check fuses as said ... good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Lance - thanks for the insight - btw - where were your boxes? you mentioned the "interior trim to the dvd changer". Where is that located? in the rear side panel?

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
58 Posts
Matt,

I don't have a Sport, but a full size 322..., where you originally posted, so I can't say if locations would be the same.

In mine, the DVD changer, amp and other electronics are located on the driver's side rear, behind a side panel immediately to one's left when liftgate is opened.

Get your car (and components) dried out thoroughly, cure whatever is leaking and, if fortune shines on you, as it did on me, the electronics will once again work.

It might also help to move to a dryer area of the country to get out of those SoCal downpours... LOL Note, I was in Thousand Oaks and Malibu during the very dry 2015, now in Portland, OR, where we passed the all-time precipitation record for the month of February last week..., so kidding on the SoCal stuff..

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
I think I would run it by the dealer as Lear suggested: in my 08, I had my coffee cup perched in front of the nav screen when a yokel on his cell phone hit the brakes abruptly, me too, then, which dumped coffee into the nav unit. The dealer was able to show exactly where on the CAN unit the disruption was located and was able to shunt around it. Later USAA paid to replace the unit. But the dealer tools could pin point where the problem was.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ha!, ys this rain in crazy for so cal - still raining this week. I think my boxes are under the front passenger seat - thanks for the advice!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts