RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although my engine is now in bits (head gasket blown at no 7 to outside) I'm optimistically turning my thoughts to the front suspension. Does anyone know who does radius arms on an exchange basis in the UK. My RR came with some silly orange PU bushes on the radius arms that I want to return to OE. Although I like buying the right tools for the job, I don't have a massive press, and the dedicated tool is the best part of £100. So surely someone has a business doing reconditioned radius arms on an exchange basis?

Tnx, Rob

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,433 Posts
I have never heard of anyone doing them on an exchange basis. I did mine a while back and I didn't have the special tool either, so took the arms into a L/R indendent to press them in.
Changing them is actually a quick job if you have all the gear. They did it while I waited and only charged me £25 in labour for pressing in 4 bushes.
You are wise fitting OEM bushes but they can't be pressed in without the tool. It is tapered and compresses the end of the bush to get it started in the hole.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
I have used a ball joint press and impact gun to remove and reinstall bushes on rover suspension, it works like a charm.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
95classiclwb wrote:

I have used a ball joint press and impact gun to remove and reinstall bushes on rover suspension, it works like a charm.
I agree other bushes like the panhard rod are easy to press in, they have a metal outer. I pressed mine in just using a big vice and a suitable socket.
The radius arms are different, you can't just press OEM bushes in. I tried it with a 20 tonne hydraulic press and I ruined a bush. The outside diameter of the bush is about 1/8" larger than the hole. The outer is made of plastic and is designed to be compressed. I tried putting a chamfer on the lead in and it didn't work. The only way is with the tool. If someone has access to a lathe, it would be easy to machine one.

Some after market polyurethane bushes for the radius arms are made in two parts and are easy to fit, but I would always stay with OEM bushes throughout the car.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Re panhard bushes I bought the special tool £70 iirc never used it at the time but still got it for when the ne3d aris s

·
Registered
565 Posts
Did mine last year using my 12 tonne press & three jubilee clips to stop the plastic outer expanding. I filed a chamfer on one end by holding the bush in electric drill & spinning against the file. Plenty of grease on the bush & in the panhard hole. Then wrap the jubilee clips round the bush as tight as possible & press carefully in.

The job would have been much easier with spare hands to hold the rods level !!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,220 Posts
I am based out in Swindon and have a 20T press and the tools to press bushes in.

If I had a couple of spare sets of radius arms, then I would look at offering an exchange set, as they don't take a lot of time to press out/in with the correct tools.

Drop me a PM - if you wanted to send me your radius arms then I'd be able to press new bushes in for you. The biggest factor would be shipping as they are surprisingly heavy!!

Marty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts