RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i have tried to replace the faded radius arms pushes, i had the arms removed in workshop and sent them to engineering workshop to press the new britpart replacement part but the guy there told me i can't press because the new pushes are larger than the existing one, then i confirmed what he said to me by measurements i found the old one 6 mm outer diameter compared to the new part which measures 6.2 mm i went to britpart dealer he told me this is the correct part and it is larger when new i moved direct to the used spare parts shop and took 2 arms left and right and the 2 rear benhard and installed them except the benhard as the day finished to be continued later. what is going on now this dimension is correct? and if it is how this could be done?<br>anyone have his radius arm pushs changed before and how?<br><br>the car was shaking left and right at 20 km/h speed and violent shudring then less at highway the same as gilberted described i think the problem solved but i will confirm at high speed
IMAG4803__1424720358_86.97.248.213.jpg IMAG4814__1424720576_86.97.248.213.jpg IMAG4810__1424720243_86.97.248.213.jpg IMAG4812__1424720424_86.97.248.213.jpg IMAG4824__1424720699_86.97.248.213.jpg IMAG4825__1424720827_86.97.248.213.jpg IMAG4816__1424720642_86.97.248.213.jpg

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks larry for reply i missed your decent wise educated opinions , i trust this salesman and they are experienced and always along years give me the correct parts so no doubt about the correct part no. but here i can't even visit that dealer they charge un affordable fees for any land rover parts they offer me 1800 dhs for new keyfob without programing (as i have my 98 becm replaced 4 years ago) or diagnostic services i am using after market britparts, bermach, bosch... etc all are good for me and my budget
i will take the advice of my neighbour here in dubai thanks spiggy for ur help.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Usual method of changing those bushes is to put them in the freezer overnight so they shrink and heat up the radius arms so the hole gets bigger. Getting the old ones out is relatively simple. Either cut or burn a hole in the rubber, slide a hacksaw blade through it and cut through the outer metal tube. That allows the tube to collapse slightly and you can then easily knock them out with a club hammer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks gilberted for reply i did not bring the old arms from the workshop yet as i have replaced them with light used complet arms as shown in the pictures (sadly doing that but i have to drop down the car from the jack) the job took all the afternoon to midnight yesterday. i will take them with bushes and go to the place where spiggy told me. the shaking reduced a bit but not at all i think this because the steering box affected after radius arms bushes are playing for a while
anyway i will keep the arms as spare also i had the front panhard rod bushes changed, the damaged sealant left caliper changed, the CV joint with bearing and axel changed, steering damper, sway arm bushes with rear 2 peices those look like the old phone hand set. to cure the shaking/shuddering problem (its not permanent and never disappeared) it happen on highway when i change lane so it is steering related and always at very low speed i feel the bonnet or car nose moving zig zag but the wheels move forward so i am working on it hope i can cure the problem.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i went back to the workshop to bring the radius arms i feel embarrassed to take the items without continue the job so i suggested to use shrinking by freeze and expanding the radius arm by heat as suggested by gilberted the guy told me i can't guarantee not to damage the new bushes, then he offer a known method here he used by fabricating his own bushes by using material like polyxxxx i don't know it but i have seen it in many applications handling knobs, washers....etc but i am not sure if it can be replaced the bushes rubbers or it will be stiff and hard he said this will prevent the sliding of the arms left and right.
is it like the poly colored bushes i see on the net here and if it is, is it comfort in ride quality and shock absorbing? i have attached pics for the material.
IMAG4875__1425722790_92.99.167.178.jpg IMAG4874__1425722862_92.99.167.178.jpg IMAG4873__1425722914_92.99.167.178.jpg

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
OEM only, in my opinion.

Saluki don't do them in their place but will direct you to the workshop that does do them.

It is not a big problem to change them - Saluki did mine and also the wheel bearing which are much harder to replace.

·
Registered
52 Posts
From an engineering point of view,plasic and rubber have totally different properties.plastic(poly or nylon) is less forgiving ,and would transmit the loads applied, in a totally different way to rubber. It should be possible to reduce the O/D by mounting in a lathe and skimming, using very light cuts.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys i will use the usual and approved way, back to the OEM specs, so am i not convinced of that replacement and material quality.

R

·
0 Posts
the tool used by LR to mount these bushes is a ring with the inside changing from little bigger than the new bush to fraction smaller than the radiusarm-hole this "compresses" the bush to get pushed in by a press.

one option is to use a "powerfile"or similar to make the edge of the hole in the radiusarm wider and with a lathe to make the edge of the bush smaller, then use lots of soap or other suitable lubricant (oil might damage the rubber) you can press the bush into the arm..

polybushes (homemade or bought) in my opinion are no good for your comfort, the rubber flexes and that way works as a damper for little bumps between road and wheel

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
When I replaced mine, I found the same issue as you. I put a 45 degree angle on the leading edge of the new bushing and used grease on the inside of the arm, a large socket and a 50 TON press, it was tuff but it went..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks roger and scotty, i offered this suggestions to the workshop guy he told me if the tolerance is just 1 mm i can do it but the difference around 3 mm from 5.9 cm radius arm hole diameter to 6.2 cm the new bushes, anyway i have the arms now i will try to go to another workshop as the traffic is horrible here i can't go to the place described by spiggy after work time i will search nearby or waiting to next saturday to go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts