RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought an 01 SE, 70,000 miles and beautiful! love everything about it! i took it to best buy the other day to get my sirius stiletto installed and they said they couldnt remove the radio because "the springs were sprung" i tried to remove it myself, but i couldnt get it either. anybody know any tricks to get the radio out??? i HAVE TO HAVE MY HOWARD STERN!!!! lol

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
485 Posts
I assume it's the Alpine unit, in which case the location 'spigots' spring out of the top of the unit and can be quite tricky if the sprung arms they are part of won't depress low enough. Therefore you need to depress the sprung arms below the level of the surrounding radio casing. This requires some slightly curved, rather than straight, radio keys - I just bent mine so they curved downwards - then feed them into the slots (top front of radio), absolutely straight ahead but curving downwards, and try to work the curved keys down into the unit to depress the sprung arms far enough to release the location spigots. Try and release each side one at a time, maintaining a good pull on the unit, rather than both together - after a dexterous few minutes you should be able to pop the unit out.

Failing that there is the BF&I method. This just relies on heaving the unit so it bends the location spigots on the radio cage and hauling the radio and cage out as one item - of course, this can result in some damage to the fascia so needs some careful force applied.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
If it is the original (Alpine made) radio you need the L/R special keys to get it out.
I made a set from old hacksaw blades. If you want a pic I can post it.

Dave
:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i tried using a skinny gauge and was able to pop up the left side, but the right side still no luck... trying garvins idea i bent then end of the filler gauge with some plyers but didnt have any luck. i would love to see the hacksaw idea if you get a change. i was also just thinking about drilling a hole behind the clock and running the wires through thatway.... without ever having that apart i didnt know what kindof electronics or wiring is back there. any idea?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of the keys I made from old hacksaw blades. These are needed to get the OEM radio out.

Saves buying a set. I can measure the dimensions if you decide to go ahead and make some up.

Dave
:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for yalls help! i got it out today :dance: with a filler gauge and alittle muscle lol. i will post some pics of the final product when im all done! thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts