RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 HSE 4.6 that is having problems with the speakers on the left side including the sub woofers. There is absolutely no sound coming out of them. If I fade the sound to the left it goes away completely. I initially thought that it was a fuse or a loose connection. I checked those and they were all good. Then after discussing this with several people I decided it must be the head unit so I replaced that. The new head unit didn't fix the problem. (BTW I have a nice head unit for sale if anybody needs one ;) I got out my RAVE manual and took a look at the wiring diagrams and checked the connections listed. The ground and connector at the radio are fine. I know it is not the individual speakers because it is very unlikely that 5 or 6 speakers on the left side decided to die all at once while the ones on the right are ok. I noticed on the wiring diagram that there is a wire from the BECM going to each speaker/amp. What is the involvement of the BECM? I really don't want to replace a BECM because some speakers don't work. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I posted this on another forum but didn't get any help. Hopefully someone here will know the answer.

Thanks,
Chris
1997 HSE 4.6 117k

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anybody had anything even close to this? Can someone at least tell me what the BECM has to do with the radio? I'm wondering if I can just rewire directly from the head to the amp? Any other tricks that may bypass it?

·
Registered
167 Posts
do yo have rear door speakers? Are they out on the left side too?

Looking thru the electrical diagrams of all 3 radio variants the most likely cause would be the Radio/head unit Left output unless the left rear speakers work.

All of the outstation fuses in the BECM cover both sides. The Becm only seems to provide power to the various components.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All of the speakers work on the passenger side and all of the speakers don't work on the drivers side. That includes drivers side front door, rear door and sub woofers. I initially thought it was the head unit too and that is why I replaced it. It is a brand new head unit so I can safely rule that out. It is also unlikely that is is the speakers or amps because they all went out at once. It is not the ground because it is shared with other components that are operating as they should. I don't think it is a short in the wiring because it went out all of a sudden and I would think you could hear it in the speakers if they were getting a short. It is not the fuses because those are shared with the other side and it is working fine. I am really at a loss here...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wiring time /:(

I would check the wiring going into the front and back doors to make sure that no wires are Broken/shorted. And the wiring from the head unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is my plan tomorrow. I did look at as much wiring as I could when I swapped head units and everything there was ok. Is there another connector somewhere that I should look at? I don't think its a matter of a wire that is worn and shorted because 6 speakers when out all at once. About the only thing I can think of is that there is a hidden connector somewhere on the harness that may have gotten loose.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
49 Posts
I freely admit I no nothing about range rovers but the following is a standard diagnostic test for checking speaker wiring.
Rather than killing yourself looking for broken wires purchase a size"c" battery.
if you hold one speaker (output from unit) wire against one end, and then tap the other wire on the other end you should get a "Click" (quite a loud one) from speakers.
(Obviously if the termination as a plug you will need to tape / insert wires to get a bare end.)
If you do wiring is OK if you do not then you have a broken wire/loose plug etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I will give the battery trick a try. I also bought a small speaker from Radio Shack that I plan on using the test the output of the head unit.

·
Registered
170 Posts
krazz,

Have you figured your problem out yet? I am having the same problem, just weith all the pass. side speakers not working. Everything else seems to work fine. Anyone else? Thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm bumping this one up as I have a similar problem - in my case I have good LHS front, good RHS rear and subwoofer working but RHS front and LHS rear don't work. I've pulled the headunit out - it's an aftermarket unit and checked all the wiring connectors - all good and no shorts. I've tried connecting the non-functioning speakers to the other channel outputs to see if that made a difference - it doesn't, still no output from those speakers. I'm stumped now, anyone have any ideas? My car is supposed to have the Harmon Kardon system - at least it has HK labels on the speaker grilles but I'm not entirely certain that it does have this. I understand that the HK system has an amplifier unit in each door but I could only find the Outstation, anyone have a pic anywhere of the HK door units so I can see if I've overlooked something?
Cheers

·
Registered
78 Posts
krazzz said:
I have a 1997 HSE 4.6 that is having problems with the speakers on the left side including the sub woofers. There is absolutely no sound coming out of them. If I fade the sound to the left it goes away completely. I initially thought that it was a fuse or a loose connection. I checked those and they were all good. Then after discussing this with several people I decided it must be the head unit so I replaced that. The new head unit didn't fix the problem. (BTW I have a nice head unit for sale if anybody needs one ;) I got out my RAVE manual and took a look at the wiring diagrams and checked the connections listed. The ground and connector at the radio are fine. I know it is not the individual speakers because it is very unlikely that 5 or 6 speakers on the left side decided to die all at once while the ones on the right are ok. I noticed on the wiring diagram that there is a wire from the BECM going to each speaker/amp. What is the involvement of the BECM? I really don't want to replace a BECM because some speakers don't work. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I posted this on another forum but didn't get any help. Hopefully someone here will know the answer.

Thanks,
Chris
1997 HSE 4.6 117k
Hi there i have the same pro also,sometimes a whole week w a deaf left side,sometimes they work by themselves then when i apply the brake pedal it's deaf again then when i release the brakes pedal they r on again.did u fix ur problem?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
If memory serves me correctly there are connection points behind the kick panels (The ones that house the bonnet release pull handle)

Not sure which one but do not pull apart any plugs that are in a yellow sheathing as thats the SRS (Safety restraint system) if you do unplug any SRS then you run the risk of deploying a air bag

Switch cleaner is a must to clean dirty contacts, simply removing and plugging back in wont always get you good results

·
Registered
267 Posts
viperover said:
If memory serves me correctly there are connection points behind the kick panels (The ones that house the bonnet release pull handle)

Not sure which one but do not pull apart any plugs that are in a yellow sheathing as thats the SRS (Safety restraint system) if you do unplug any SRS then you run the risk of deploying a air bag

Switch cleaner is a must to clean dirty contacts, simply removing and plugging back in wont always get you good results

That's a good tip, I'll have a look at the area behind the kick panels - I tried every other connector in the doors themselves and couldn't find any problem, likewise no problems with the bass box in the boot area either.

Ref SRS, I would add that if anyone does accidently disconnect them then they should also disconnect the battery and wait for a while before re-connecting the SRS.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have this problem too on my 96 hse, I have power at the amps, and have switched the amps with a known good unit with no luck. I called roverville radio because I had to get a new headunit in late 2008, he told me how to test the headunit. Unplug the speaker section of the plugs in the back and using a speaker connect the wire leads in top to bottom pairs, if there is sound from the speaker the head unit is not the problem. the top to bottom pair closest to the the outer most side of the radio are the left side speaker outs. I have yet to try this as Im away for thanksgiving, but if I figure this out Ill be sure to let you all know, this has been driving me nuts for over a year now. I hope its not the head unit because I paid over $400 for it and it lasted maybe a year tops before the problem started.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Update*
Checked for power at pin 7 on C207 grey and black wire and it was there. I also have power at the purple wire the comes from the becm, therefore the problem must be at S352 the left side stereo splice, conveniently located in a very wet very moldy area.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Nacra52 said:
conveniently located in a very wet very moldy area.
errrr, dare I ask why anything inside you rig is wet let alone mouldy? :?

·
Registered
119 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
Nacra52 said:
conveniently located in a very wet very moldy area.
errrr, dare I ask why anything inside you rig is wet let alone mouldy? :?
Lets see... I live in the northeast (new england) it rains alot, it's much like England only newer.. I also ski, swim, sail and was a lifeguard for 4 years, needless to say my car never stays completely dry. Nevermind that the foam LR uses beneath the carpet is essentially higher quality ShamWow and once wet almost never drys. It also doesnt help the my truck is parked under a canopy of trees where it is so damp that after a week away even the wax on my Barbour will mould.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
In case anyone digs this up as I did, here is the solution I found on my NAS 98
It was indeed the plug behind the panel, where the foot rest mounts. It had got wet in there somehow and corroded the terminals

·
Registered
174 Posts
What I suspect is happening here is the relays powering up the amplifier are not energizing on that side. I would need a schematic for the unit, but typically, the head unit sends either power or ground to the amps, which then energize a few moments later. This prevents pops to the speakers as a result of the other circuits energizing. As to the BCM, EVERYTHING is now managed by either the ECM, or powertrain control module, or the BCM, or body control module. The purpose of this allows the SYSTEM to properly configure the alternator for the current demand. If someone can provide a schematic for this unit, I can provide some troubleshooting tips. Ray

·
Super Moderator
2,197 Posts
Schematic is in the ETM but your assumption is wrong. There are no relays and it has nothing to do with the amps. The connector behind the LH kick panel has the audio feeds from the radio to the speakers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts