RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2007 L322 4.2L SC
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all just brought a 2007 RR 4.2L and stereo doesn't work or light up at all. After a bit of investigation I've found its missing one of the components in the LHR panel. It's the one below dvd player, can someone tell me whats meant to be in there?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,148 Posts
Picture?

Which one of these;

10 is the satellite radio receiver, 11 is the amplifier, 12 is the antenna booster module but its forward of the electronics stack on the inside of the quarter panel. Theres more units back there if you have the rear seat entertainment package, mostly for getting the dvd data to the rear screens, not really associated with the radio, unless the MOST ring (fiberoptic) cable has been disconnected and left open circuited.

·
Registered
2007 L322 4.2L SC
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the detailed reply, I've taken the below pictures this morning of the components fitted atm and of all the spare plugs. It also have the rear entertainment package as well.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I see the bluetooth module is missing, it sits right above the navigation DVD Drive and that big giant 30 some odd pin connector plugs into it (it only uses 2 of those wires) The Multi DVD player for the RSE is missing, it goes below the Navigation DVD drive. It has a fiber optic connector going to it plus most o those other multipin connectors in your hand. Wth the MOST fiber optic loop (the connectors with the two ports and the white heavy plastic covered wires (fiber optic cables) open circuited none of your a/v system is going to work and probably your navigation won't work either. The Rear seat moduel and the amplifier appear to be there, This is what the back of a truck with the RSE looks like'

10 is the RSE module, 11 is the amp, 12 is the DVD player, 9 is the TV module which we don't get in the US. The MOST ring runs from the head unit to the Integrated Head unit above the glove box, to the bluetooth module, rear amplifier, then to the DVD player, the RSE module and then back to the Head unit. If the truck should have the a Satellite radio it is inserted in the loops somewhere between the RSE and amplifier. That loop needs to be intact. Even if the DVD and bluetooth module is missing you can get some jumper connectors that will connect the two open ends of the fiber optic cable so you can make the loop intact. That "MAY" get your head unit back on line and get the radio portion and CD (the one in the glovebox) parts of the audio system working again.

Something like this: MOST jumper connector (I don't know for sure that this particular one fits a RR connector, but this shows what you would need to make the MOST ring intact with missing (or dead) components.

·
Registered
2007 L322 4.2L SC
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers i looped the MOST cable and the fan started to work in the tv unit but cuts out after 15-20 seconds. When disconnected and reconnected it will continue to do the same. The head unit still doesn't turn on during this period. I'll buy one of the dvd players for the RSE ans see what it does from there.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
What does the orange light do on the power button on the head unit?

·
Registered
2007 L322 4.2L SC
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just continually flashes.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Your MOST loop is still open somewhere then, or one of the modules it is plugged into doesn't have power to it. The Blue dotted line is the MOST bus in a truck with RSE. Note that the Bluetooth module and the SDARs (Satellite Radio Receiver - NA vehicles only) also have Fiber Optic Connectors and are part of the loop as well.

Base Vehicle MOST ring

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
360 Posts
In your original set of pictures several connectors in pic #3 and #4 connect to the RSE module (#10 in Mark’s first component diagram and #18 in the diagram referencing the blue MOST loop).

That module may be missing too (or is at the very least disconnected).

It’s mounted vertically with the connectors plugging in to the side of it.

Rob

·
Registered
2007 L322 4.2L SC
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im assuming this is where the MOST system starts on the pictured item below the glove box? I fitted a loop here now the power button doesn't flash it's either on or off now with the ignition on. The display still doesn't work though. Any ideas.....

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Why is the second MOST pair of fibers not connected, and where do they go? Did you run a new pair of fibers from the IHU to the screen?

·
Registered
2007 L322 4.2L SC
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Why is the second MOST pair of fibers not connected, and where do they go? Did you run a new pair of fibers from the IHU to the screen?
I disconnected to fit a bypass loop. Which made my error with the flashing light on the power button disappear. Prior to this i had already bypassed at the main MOST connector in the boot but made no difference to the fault.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Think of the module you’re holding in pic #3 as the initial “generator” of the MOST LOOP light signal, which is going to be sent down one of the two fibre optic lines and needs to be “seen” as a red light input returning back into the same module by the second (returning) fibre optic cable.

With the FO plug disconnected and the ignition on, you should see one of the two red lenses within the MOST connector port glowing red. Easier to view in low light conditions.

If yes, the task is to get that red glow emitting from the return side of the MOST cable back into the “other” lens in the module’s port after determining where either the “break in the circuit occurs” or discovering the missing or failed module causing such.

With care, once you’ve identified which of the two cables are the input(return) vs output LABEL THEM. Then carefully withdraw the return FO from the connector plug.

Now, look at the MOST loop diagram Mark provided and go to the next module in that blue line and withdraw the MOST connector to confirm that one of the two FO cables has a red light signal reaching it.

Confirm that the light signal is reaching a module, then LABEL the two FO cables and withdraw the “output” from that module’s MOST connector.

Reconnect the MOST connector to the module with the now single input side and, in low light conditions peer into a now vacant space within the removed FO cable’s connector and look for that module to emit a red glow from the “exposed” lens.

If so, the MOST part of that module’s working so reinstall the FO cable back into the connector and move on to the next module. The FO you just reinstalled becomes the “input” for the next down line module. Get the idea?

And so on....

Remember that the car falls asleep after certain periods of time (it varies depending on model year (MY).

Opening and closing the driver door will wake the system up. If you’ve ever had your door open for a while and suddenly the seat fails to respond to the seat switch, that’s because the car’s fallen into the sleep mode.

Shutting then opening the door will wake it up again and hey presto, the seat now moves when commanded.

Rob

·
Registered
2007 L322 4.2L SC
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Based on what I've checked so far it would indicated the head unit has failed. I'll pull it out and see if it gets a FO signal through it. This is the only part i haven't looped the MOST, so more than likely going to be the problem.

·
Registered
2007 L322 4.2L SC
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So if the power button light is on does that indicate on or off?

·
Registered
360 Posts
There are a couple of slightly thicker cabled wires going to one of the two wired connectors on the side of the module.

Those are the power and ground terminals. Check for 12v +ve and ground -ve.

No orange light can indicate:

"Off" = it's switched off (from a center push button press).

"Off" = can also mean no power to the module (hence the reason for the first three sentences).

If the orange light is on or blinking, power to the module would at least appear to be satisfactory.

If you have 12v power to the module, a blinking orange light and neither of the two IR lenses under the FO cables is glowing red I suggest that that module has failed.

Rob

·
Registered
2007 L322 4.2L SC
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like the display is U/S, I have FO in and out upto the head unit and then i have no out on the FO. Do these fail often? From what I've read only option is the replace with genuine unit. Would be awesome if there was a more modern option that worked and intergrated.

·
Registered
2007 L322 4.2L SC
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well I got a good used head unit and thankfully the screen is now working by putting in a good secondhand one but my next problem is I have no sound.

As soon as I plug the FO cable into my amp I get a flash power light again so I'm assuming that is the problem.

I did notice a single optical cable coming out of the amp, does anyone know where that plugs in to?

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Vogue SE 4.4
2 Posts
As far as I’m aware, that single optical cable (in the orange tubing) connects into the back of the rear entertainment dvd changer. It does on my UK spec one anyway

1 - 20 of 21 Posts