RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
New owner of 2017 RR Evoque HSE. Everything has been great thus far. Just got it back from detailer and had paint correction done along with a ceramic coating. Vehicle really pops now.

This is my wife's primary car, but I have had fun driving it around when I can. However, she has been experiencing some poor radio reception. I just told her to stream from her phone, but she told me it's unacceptable paying $50K plus for a vehicle that has the worst radio she has ever used. None of the AM sports stations I listen to have any issues.

So, first off, I disabled the HD radio because it just causes things going in and out. Found that hint searching the forum. That helped a bit however, still experiencing issues.

I live in the Chicago area and with my vehicle and my wife's old one, we never experienced issues like this. Yes, certain channels are weaker than other based off of location of source, I get that, but same stations sound totally different and never experienced issues like this in other cars.

So, here is what happens. I tune to 96.3 and it sounds good, comes in clear/loud. AGAIN HD IS TURNED OFF. Then, after about ~30 sec, quality drastically degrades like you just drove into a tunnel. Static and muffled sounds. Mind you, this happens when you are driving or stationary on my driveway. Strangely, if you flip to the next channel and flip right back, quality starts perfect, but then degrades after 30 seconds or so. Same thing happens when you quickly flip to AM back to FM, station comes in clear for ~30 seconds then goes bad.

If the signal was too weak, then it would just sound bad all the time right? Why does it start off in good quality, but then gets worse? I find that I have to constantly flip channels to keep the radio signal audible. Again, this is both stationary and driving around. Some channels have no issues, but a lot have this issue.

Just very strange behavior. I don't know too much about these radios other than what I found on Meridian's and RR website: Digital Signal Processing, Digital Dither Shaping & Trifield.

Lots of stuff on the forums about loose wires and replacing/relocating antennas, but I don't personally feel too comfortable about DIY. I called my dealership and haven't really found a good answer other than it's just a weak signal.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues with their Meridian 825 watt systems? When I stream music or when the signals are clear, the audio is quite AMAZING! Much better than my Bose system in my current vehicle. Not sure if it's worth making a big fuss over a handful of radio stations. I don't want to have them tearing up the headliner and other areas to try to fix this with minimal effect. It just might be inherent with these types of radios?

Anyone have similar issues that were "fixed" or not? Thanks!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,672 Posts
First they are not going to tear anything up doing a warranty repair. If you have a tuner failing, bad antennae or other issue why would you not have it repaired free of charge and properly? Perhaps there is a TSB or update available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, I was afraid this was going to happen. My wife complained so much about the radio, I finally brought it into the shop on Oct 3rd. I didn't care so much because I stream from my phone or listen to the AM and it was the FM That was giving her problems.

4 WEEKS AT THE DEALER, I just picked it up yesterday, and they replaced the fender that houses the antennas and they also replaced a board or something behind the touch screen. They also took apart the headlining to access and re-wire somethings.

After all that, the radio reception on the FM dial still sucks. This is the worst part:

1) I had the whole car paint corrected to remove all the swirls and minor scratches and had the whole thing coated with cquartz. So with the new fender piece, I will have to wait 30 days for the paint to cure on the new fender and bring it back to the detailer to get re-coated. BUT, when they put the thing back on, there are some visible scuffs around the edges where they might have had some issues getting it back in. So, now I have to get that fixed too.

2) I told them NOT to wash the car. I didn't want them to ruin anything with their car wash and dirty rags they dry the car with....BUT they washed it anyway. So, there are scuffs and swirls all over the vehicle that I can now see that were not present when I dropped it off. The worst are the pillars between the windows. They were PERFECT before I bought them in and now there are bad VISIBLE scratches and scuffs on almost all the pillars so that's infuriating.

3) When they put the headliner back it wasn't all put back together properly. There are "bumps" / "rolls" in the headliner that wasn't there before so I dropped it off again this morning for them to take apart and put back properly.

Finally, they said there is nothing more they can do and that the FM radio is a known issue for RR and Jag models. Funny thing is, they gave me a Jag XE as a loaner and I never had the same issues as the Evqoue over the month I was driving it. They gave me the JLR Number to submit a claim and that was the best they can do.

So, now I have an Evoque that ruined my detailing investment, radio is still broken, and an unhappy wife.

Is there ANYONE out there that has issues with poor reception on the FM dial? Are you just living with it or did you bring it in to get fixed?

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts