RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've got an 03 HSE with a radio not working. The display unit is functioning ok and I can toggle through the menu. But when I hit the left side knob to turn on the radio...nothing. The little light next to it doesn't light up.

I checked ALL the fuses in the fuse box. I've also disconnected the battery and reconnected with no help. I brought it to the stealer yesterday and they said they couldn't communicate with the radio?? I upgraded my nav to an MKIV DVD based, but I don't think that would affect anything because the radio wasn't working before I changed to the MKIV.

Any suggestions??

thanks
K

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
254 Posts
did it work after the front end upgrade wiring?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
localbrew said:
The radio has never worked. It was actually like that when I bought it a few months ago, but I was hoping it'd be an easy fix after I finished my front end update.

·
Registered
254 Posts
HawaiianRR said:
localbrew said:
The radio has never worked. It was actually like that when I bought it a few months ago, but I was hoping it'd be an easy fix after I finished my front end update.
honestly sounds like a dead unit, but I would recommend a knowledgeable stereo shop, could be a bad connection as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
localbrew said:
HawaiianRR said:
localbrew said:
honestly sounds like a dead unit, but I would recommend a knowledgeable stereo shop, could be a bad connection as well.
Which dead unit? Display unit? Amplifier?

thanks.
K

·
Registered
285 Posts
The radio module is in the rear left compartment beside the amp and satnav unit. Check the area for water ingress from the window above. This can cause the connectors to become corroded and create the fault you describe.

Good luck!

·
Registered
254 Posts
honestly sounds like a dead unit, but I would recommend a knowledgeable stereo shop, could be a bad connection as well.[/quote]

Which dead unit? Display unit? Amplifier?

thanks.
K[/quote]

Radio unit is what I'm thinking, yes it's in the back by the Nav unit. Maybe replace with a newer radio unit so you can add SAT and bluetooth.

I think they are about $500

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was hoping i'd find water or moisture, but nope. So is there a way to check or get the radio module checked out to ensure everything is working properly?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not that I know of, perhaps a stereo shop. They might use a meter to check ohms or voltage at the display, that's a tough one man. Sorry.

·
Registered
238 Posts
HawaiianRR said:
I was hoping i'd find water or moisture, but nope. So is there a way to check or get the radio module checked out to ensure everything is working properly?
Is it only the radio or is it the full system( CD, NAV) that produces no sound?
If so, the problem is the Amp, in the left back.
Check the three connectors for oxidation.
Do a search on radio dead, no sound.
I posted a lot of information as I have had the same issue.

Good luck

Ronald

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So today I decided to take out my radio module and amp. As I begun to disconnect the plug into the radio module I saw the 10 amp mini fuse. I pulled it and found it was blown. I was excited as hell as I was hoping this is all the problem was. I was already set to order a new radio module on Monday. I went and bought a pack of mini-fuses and replaced, put the connectors back and sure enough it was working properly. Yaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! Cost me $3.29.

thanks for all your help guys.
K

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nice work man!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Not your problem but if the audio dies on a new one, turn the engine off and lock it, then restart it. Just shutting it off and on won't fix that but locking it seems to reboot the system. That took me awhile to figure out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts