Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I know this issue has been asked before, but each issue goes in different direction or drops off. I have an 03 RR HSE and I am a girl so please be patient with me. Suddenly today my radio was not working. First I noticed no sound, then I noticed that it will not turn on (orange light is off). Display screen works but I cannot turn radio on and I do not have access to CD/Radio/Cassette through the "mode" button because it will not power on.

I fiddled with the buttons on the steering wheel (not sure what r/t button is but nothing helped). I noticed the word "code" on the screen listed under off road nav (accessible in white) that is not accessible and is a dark grey that I do not remember seeing before. So unable to enter a code either.

I had my dad check the fuses in the glove box and they were fine. I want him to check the fuse that is on the radio module, but I need to know if the module needs to be removed in order to see the fuse. I know where to find the radio module (rear hatch, drivers side, behind panel) but once inside there it is intimidating. I read it "lives under the plastic floor cover" what does that mean exactly. How can i verify I am staring at the radio module vs. the other components in there and does it need removal to find the fuse?

Any help would be really appreciated. I would like to weed out the easy stuff before blowing $150 at the Dealer.

Thank you!!

P.S. Someone also said to turn engine off and "lock it" then restart again and it may reboot the system. What does that mean "lock it"? Thanks again : )

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
By lock it, they meant the truck, door locks, which if it were an 05 and up, I would agree with, but doubt it will help you here. The 'code' is a feature to allow you to disable the engine with a password, it has to be set each time it is used, and I usually don't recommend people use it as you're kind of screwed if you forget it.

The fuses that you want to check are behind the glove box, 49 and 8.

Behind the cover in the left rear, you'll have the nav system up top, make sure it has a red light when the key is on. The radio is down below, you will have the radio, and the amplifier, another unit if you have Logic 7. The radio is the one closest to the spare tire, with it's wires going into the top. The black plastic piece, between the spare tire and the cubby where the audio stuff is, needs to be removed to access it. Its just a few clips, and a couple nuts to get it off. Remove the spare tire cover, remove the luggage net clips in the vertical carpet covered sections, by turning them a 1/4 turn. Then there are two tie down loops, it's a 7mm allen I believe There's a plastic clip that pulls out from the front of the trim you're removing, and 3? 10mm plastic nuts. Then you can remove the trim and get to the radio a little better.

·
Registered
2010 SC 5.0 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2,113 Posts
r/t button is to turn on the radio to telephone .

At this point i would suggest that you get out the owners manual and then find a comfortable chair,
and get to reading,
there is a lot of info in the manaul that describes how to operate the various functions of the truck.
Once this is done then you may be able to figure out the code deal and disable it

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Yeah, the R/T button is somewhat useless for 99% of people, as I have only ever seen 1 person with the correct adapter, only one sold in the US was for the old school Nokia brick phone. Just like non Cold Climate trucks without a heated steering wheel that have a recirc button for the AC, never understood that one.

I don't think she has the code turned on, just mentioned that she saw it there. It will only be 'lit up' when the engine is not running.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi. So I just wanted to update. To sum it up I had no luck. I was so hopeful too. First I let my car sit for a few hours and then I replaced the Fuses in the glove box. Then I found and replaced the fuse to the radio module. It was not blown but slightly corroded. While in that back area of my vehicle I saw some water spots, nothing major but it was noticeable. Maybe that is the problem. I started my vehicle and the same thing no power no sound. I turned my car off, locked my vehicle left it that way for maybe a half an hour came back and still nothing. Tomorrow I plan to unhook the battery and drain it and see if that helps but at this point it's not looking good. My hope is fading. Thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
If you saw corrosion on the outside of the radio, chances are the problem is corrosion on the inside of it.

Assuming the only fault with the system is the radio, and there has not been water damage to the amp, or DSP if fitted, you can pick up a used one for not too outrageous of a price. This is for a reference, and you may be able to find a lower price, but I have had good luck with parts from this supplier. The part numbers are listed on the site that would fit your vehicle.

http://www.roverlandparts.com/2003-2005-range-rover-radio-tuner---xqc500030-or-lr006050.aspx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay so I just wanted to give an update as to what happened. I took my car to the dealer for "diagnostic" and the dealer told me they wanted to start with the amplifier and the radio module. They gave me a price of over $1900. I asked the dealer if they had tested the system or if they were just going off that they saw water spots in the area. My service writer said that the technician saw corrosion on both the amp and the radio module. I really doubt both failed simultaneously....but who knows. So I think I'm going to get an aftermarket system with a new screen and I'll have the touch screen and Bluetooth and all the bells and whistles and I'll probably spend about $1400 on it.

So anyway I just wanted to give an update, follow up and let people know what happened and to watch that water getting in the back because it will get in and ruin your system. So thank you for your help and good luck everyone!!

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Aftermarket is a good solution, there really isn't much sense in spending that kind of money repairing a system that is so outdated.

I have seen some very clean and functional aftermarket installs, but I have also seen very cheap units, so be careful what you buy. I suggest stay away from the cheap chinese non-name brand units.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.