RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 sport s/c. My navigation screen is frozen with land rover logo and radio doesn't produce any sound. The radio works but the volume knob doesn't. When I turn the knob, there's no volume numbers being displayed.
Does anyone have any idea what it could be??
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
You could try powering down the HAL 9000.

Remove key, disconnect battery power cable, wait 5 mins, and then reconnect. Just fyi you will erase your station memories, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried that but only disconnected it for a minute with the key in. I will deffinatly try this again for few minutes longer and without the key. I really hope this solves the problem.
Thank you for the help

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Yeah, definitely no key in the ignition and wait at least 2 minutes before disconnecting the battery cable - the electronic modules need to wind down properly or you may end up doing more damage than good.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
umbertob said:
Yeah, definitely no key in the ignition and wait at least 2 minutes before disconnecting the battery cable - the electronic modules need to wind down properly or you may end up doing more damage than good.
Good point Umberto, but this is never a problem for me. With all the plastic covers in the engine bay, I have to find the battery (3 minutes), remove said cover, and make 3 trips to the tool chest for the right socket...that's 10 mins minimum `)

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
670 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
umbertob said:
Good point Umberto, but this is never a problem for me. With all the plastic covers in the engine bay, I have to find the battery (3 minutes), remove said cover, and make 3 trips to the tool chest for the right socket...that's 10 mins minimum `)

Awesome, I thought I was the only one.

Rafa

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Came home all excited, hoping this would work. Took the key out, dissconected the battery for 5 min, nothing changed. Disconnected power cable for the second time for 10 min, still no luck.
Should I take it to the dealer?
Thank you guys for all the help.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Yeah, we are out of tricks. You could still try pulling the relevant fuses (#53 and 58 in the passenger compartment, behind the glove box), but I doubt it'd make any difference. Your MOST is stuck, the above software patch from the dealer should fix it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried fuses last night, everything is fine in that area.
Anyway, thank you guys for all the help and quick responses. I guess I will have to let my dealer sort this one out.
Thanks for all the help :thumb:

·
Registered
144 Posts
is your radio stuck in phone mode, mine just started this .....if i turn the key on the acc position it plays fine once i start the car up it goes into phone mode.....someone must have an answer for this, the uk forums said its the amp going bad? and it cost over 480.00 lbs..humm

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
A bad amp causing your PTI to take over the audio system sounds a bit weird - although with these modules all interconnected via fiber optics anything is possible, I guess. I'd check the more obvious stuff first, such as damaged wiring under the carpet of the front passenger seat, which could have been mis-routed at the factory and chafed or worn through its insulation over time. This could cause all sorts of strange infotainment behavior (we had a few instances reported here in the past.)

The problem was common enough that there was even a Special Service Message issued about these "Infotainment system's unusual customer complaints", I'll see if I can look it up later tonight if LR hasn't pulled it from TOPIx as they sometimes do :evil: - there were helpful photos enclosed to the SSM to give you / technicians an idea of what type of damage to look for, and where to look for it.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Models
LA - Discovery 3
LS - Range Rover Sport
Title Infotainment system inoperative, unusual customer complaints
Last Modified 15-DEC-2008 09:42
Category Electrical
Symptom 207000 Entertainment Systems
Content

Issue
Customer complains of a fault with the infotainment system.

Cause
There is a known issue where during the manufacturing process the infotainment harness which is separate to the main body harness has been incorrectly routed and can drift into the area of the right hand front seat fixing points, see attached photos.
Secondary causes to check are that the infotainment connectors under the centre console have not been latched correctly or if the issue is specific to the rear screen entertainment circuit check for correct routing, chaffing of the harness in the seat.
This can affect any of the electrical infotainment circuits i.e. navigation, phone, amplifier, radio.
The type of fault that can occur can be variable and can happen at any mileage.

Examples of faults already reported are:

Previous destination on navigation inoperative
Time of arrival on navigation inoperative
Microphone inoperative or echo during use
Phone not working but o.k. when used via Bluetooth
Navigation screen displays "navigation not fitted"
One or both rear headrest screens inoperative.

Please note these are only a small number of examples and are not a concise list.

Action
If a fault is reported with the infotainment system it is advised that the infotainment harness in the seat fixing area is checked first for signs of pinching/damage and then the connectors under centre console are checked for correct latching or seat harness routing is checked if the fault is specific to rear seat entertainment.
If it is possible to carry out a local repair i.e. a small number of wires are damaged then this should be done using the harness repair kit.
If the damage is to co-axial or MOST leads, repairs should not be carried out and that specific harness will need to be replaced.

Note:
Overlays are available but they are not currently listed correctly in Microcat, this is being rectified.
Attached is the list of overlays that can be ordered. Please note that there are no differences between LHD and RHD as the longest lead is the only one available. Any surplus lead should be stored in a suitable place i.e. under the carpet.

Improvements to the routing and clipping of the infotainment harness have been introduced, however the issue will not be resolved completely until 09.5my, January 2009.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for the update umbertob....i know if anyone will have any idea it will be you, your knowledge is very appreciated .....i will check today.... :clap:

·
Registered
144 Posts
has anyone solve this issue...is it amp going bad,system needs an update, mines just start doing this..in access mode it works fine but once you start the vehicle it goes off to phone mode.....need to mention im running that module for the dvd hack for the tvs on the head rest, so the nav can watch tv while in motion...any of you guys by chance is running that module...just want to eliminate that as the problem...

·
Registered
144 Posts
haha i have fixed this problem, i took it to the dealers some weeks back and they told me the radio is failing, the other tech said the amp is failing....but i told them if thats the cause why when the key is in access. position it works fine....i took it to advance auto parts and tested the battery..it fail, although the suv started right up with no problems, the fancy tester printed out the battery crancking amps is lower than the manufacturer specs and the voltage was half the manufacturer specs....i change it out and bam i save about 1500 buck plus labour....test your battery ..im pretty sure thats the problem... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,986 Posts
have the same issue. screen shows low battery? sometimes screen turns black with no sound. it is a new 2011 with only 6k miles. solutions? dealer is stumped. dealer installed aftermarket headrest DVD by rosen.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
741 Posts
have the same issue. screen shows low battery? sometimes screen turns black with no sound. it is a new 2011 with only 6k miles. solutions? dealer is stumped. dealer installed aftermarket headrest DVD by rosen.
Has the dealer tried replacing the car battery? Most, if not all, of the RRS electrical problems stem from low voltage or amp issues with the battery. I'd also have them double check the electrical wiring on the headrest screens to make sure the polarities aren't reversed or anything.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts