RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of different radios Im working with, and Im trying to combine them into one good radio, but I had a question that might really help the process... One radio will not turn on, the other has a screen that only works if you press on it (but the backlights work), and the third is intermittent and has loud pops with a messed up screen. Im wondering if I can take the working radio (with the bad screen), remove the face, and use the complete face of the radio that will not turn on, since it just plugs into the body of the radio? I really appreciate the help...I want so bad to send it to Roverville, and get the mp3 plug in, but I just cannot afford it right now. Thanks!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Changing faces about shouldnt be a problem but Im not to sure if the code bit is in the face or on the main board.
Failing that just replace radio and if its a new model it will come with mp3 etc, many after market radios can also be controlled by the steering buttons but if were me I'd blank off stering buttons to make it look good and use the remote that many radios come with simply the remote has lots more functions...

What you will spend having it sent to roverville for repairs could easily be ploughed in to buy a really top notch head unit

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i understand that...i have an exceptional head unit in the vehicle now. Honestly, Im just a factory kind of guy...I dont need a cd changer, but i want to know that I have a working one, and the same with the radio. I like the look of a oem unit in the dash, versus the look of my silver and black head unit. Just a preference i guess.

Anyone know where the code parts are at? Im under the impression that the face just serves as control and display, and does not carry the coded parts. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
So did we ever figure this out? is the code stored in the face, or the body of the head unit?

(i also like the stock look on most things)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ makes me feel better about myself...like I am normal

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok...i am being told that the code is in the body so switching faces is no big deal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts