RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to find older topics on this, but could not find any about this issue.

History:

Range Rover P38 DSE MY2000, First registration 2001

Early februari I parked my car for longer period of time (headgasketfailure, did not want to repair it outside in the winter cold).

After a week or two, the radio was playing... I got in, pressed the off button.... radio kept playing. Put key in ignition and turned in pos 2 (all lights in dash illuminated like normal) Turned key to 0 and took it out, the radio went off like normal...
One or two days later, the radio was on again... same ritual.. I disconnected the battery (and put a ticklecharger on it)

Now, the engine has been repaired, the battery fully charged and reconnected... Engine runs like it should... all windows set.... wanted to put the radio code in.................

-no light on radio illuminated
-no reaction to pushing whatever button on the radio
-10A fuse at the back of the radio seems to be OK

I put another HU (from my offroad P38, with a LOT of missing pixels in the display) in the car and that seems to work (lights up the display and tries to show me "code" ;-) )

SO.....

What am I looking at? a broken on-off switch? total failure?

any good repair adress (as close to the netherlands as possible please)

What might

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
http://www.gb4x4radios.com/

Well if one needs the code and a display and the other is turning itself on it sounds like they are both duff. However I would be questioning how the original radio is getting full power to it's switched power supply.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there obviously was no power to the switched supply, the radio did not react on the on/off button, but after switching ignition on ( getting power to the switched supply) and off the radio went off as well...

that is why I am guessing the on-off switch might be the cause, hoped that people had this and knew what caused it.

The other radio works fully with the exception of the display not showing all pixels, like all these radio's it shows "code" if you switch it on after reconnecting it to a powersource but that radio is not the subject, i just tried that to see if the car had power to its radio connectors

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,422 Posts
http://www.gb4x4radios.com/

Well if one needs the code and a display and the other is turning itself on it sounds like they are both duff. However I would be questioning how the original radio is getting full power to it's switched power supply.
The radio on my 02 will work just fine with the key off and removed.
Turn it on and it will go for about 20 min, then shut back off. This indicates it is powered all of the time, so it sounds as if Roger has a problem with this feature self activating.
(I just went and checked, The wife's 99 also does this. On 20 min, then shuts back off)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
right, that is what happened.... it went on by itself, would not go off, not even by pressing the on/off button..... had to switch ignition on and off to get it off again..... after the battery has been disconnected for over 6 months the radio simply does nothing...

Oh and by the way,,, the "needing the code" is not a failure ( never thought it was) and is symply solved by entering it, what I had not done (not nessecary for what I wanted to check)while trying the powering on working ok.... I have the bad display radio temporary in the car now which works like it should (apart from the unreadable display)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,219 Posts
If the later ones are anything like the earlier Clarion ones, with a bit of work, you can swap the LCD display.

I did it to one from a 97 to a 95 as the model number was wrong to replace the one with the dead display, so I swapped the LCD out instead :)

Haven't pulled the alpine ones apart to see how they are constructed though..

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
would like them both to work... two cars you know ;-)

have tried the link posted earlier, mailed them (uk) and basicaly got the reply that postage was too expensive andchances of repair 50% so they would not do it...... on their site it sais alpine units can't be repaired due to lack of spareparts....

any other recommendable adresses in europe? ... thinking about writing alpine, but fear that would cost huge amounts to get them to repair it..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts