RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a pull my hair out moment... My radio volume switch is flakey so I was swapping one in from a salvage yard. For $15 US I thought I would give it a try, and it had wood trim that would match my interior.. When I was disconnecting everything at the yard, I thought I remember the top row of connections on the radio being full. Yellow, green and blue connectors. This may have been implanted on my brain. When I went to pull my radio out for the swap, I also thought I remembered the top row being full. Now I cannot find the wire with the green connector on it no matter where I look or feel.

So am I mixing the two together and it is not needed on my vehicle.

One note, the one I pulled the radio from at the salvage yard did have NAV in it. Is it possible that the green connector was for the NAV?

Help partially restore my waning sanity please.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,198 Posts
What year was it from?

If the one in the yard had Nav etc, then it will have had the DSP amp, the control wire for which is in that green connector in the top row.
If your '00 model didn't have nav then it could possibly just have the door amps, rather than one single amp - in which case it's entirely possible the green connector with the pink/black wire doesn't exist on your RR at all, no.

No DSP to control, so no need for the wire etc.

If you post a pic of the connectors on our stereo/wiring loom, then I can help identify what system you have.
If you don't have DSP, then the speaker output ISO connector will have 8 wires in it. If you have DSP, then it will only have 4 wires (in the center pins - the outer pairs will be vacant).

Hope this helps,
Marty

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looked through the schematics, never can find what I want. What the use of having all this experience if I can't use it? Just keeping everyone sharp and ready to go.

Pulled from a 2001 w/NAV, going in a 2000 w/o Nav. I will what all the connectors look like. I did hook it up and turn it on briefly, seemed to work ok.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Here is one showing the wire colors. IMG_4927.JPG
This 2002 did have sat NAV. Fyi

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I decided to really tear into things, here is what I found. I have a dead 2k RR, I opened it up and did see the green connector, no wire in the connector though. Same radio model as the other 2k. Then as I looked at the blue, green and yellow connectors and the pic above confirmed it, they nest and can come apart. I took the side panels off, and pulled the HVAC controller and started looking under the carpet. I found the missing green connector. Looks like the 3 came apart when I pulled it and the green one, since it did not have any wires, just fell to the floor and lodged under the carpet. Very frustrating all in all!

So the model number on the radio that I had in the vehicle is Alpine AMR6285. The one I pulled from the 2001 w/NAV is Alpine XQD101580LNF. Any reason this will not work to swap it in? Looks exactly the same from the front and back side. Like I said, only difference is one was pulled from a NAV vehicle. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks for the pics!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,198 Posts
They will all work fine.

The same head unit was used between DSP/non DSP models - I am guessing the head unit detects on power up if there is a DSP amp attached to it (via the pink/black wire in the green connector) and then switches it's mode accordingly.
A vehicle with DSP just outputs a Left/Right to the DSP amp and then controls it via I-bus on the pink/black wire. A vehicle without DSP outputs all 4 doors, and does the balance/fade etc internally (rather than controlling the DSP to do do it).

But in short, if you put the head unit into a non-DSP vehicle it will power up, not detect the DSP amp, and just go into it's normal mode, so should work with no problems.

As I mentioned also, in the parts tree I use, it doesn't have a different part number for DSP/non DSP vehicles when it comes to the head unit. The AMR6285 was superceded by the XQD units but they list as being interchangeable aswell.

Hope this helps,
Marty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts