RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a big deal, just that I'm a newcomer to the P38. I do not have the radio code in my documentation. I figured no problem, call a dealer with the VIN, and they can look it up. No dice, car is too old, MY2000. Even the original selling dealer flushed the info. So, I'm told that if I need to disconnect or switch out batteries, either make sure the radio is turned OFF, or alternatively plug a jump box into the cigarette lighter during the operation. There are generic codes that a dealer can plug in I'm told. Just looking ahead to that time when I have to cut the power, and wanted to not have a radio issue. Maybe all of you know this already, just new information to me.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Welcome and glad to see there are others in Latin America

Why don't you send me the vin number and some proof of ownership via PM. if you can't send a picture via PM I'll send you my whatsApp.

You might pay me a Peruvian beer one day :D

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
well I CAN get them if somebody sends me some proof of ownership. Picture of you MOT, V5, carte grise, Marchamo, Riteve, ITV whatever you want to call it.
Without any credible document it is no I'm afraid, Same goes for EKAs

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,421 Posts
its lima "ny" new york, the op you could contact roverville radio for further assistance.
Heck, If you are legit, you can still get the information, and I can think of no better excuse to visit Costa Rica in mid winter than to buy someone a Beer!:thumb:

You can also have a look at the bottom of the radio.........It has been known to happen that the code is written in pencil, faintly, on the bottom......It was on my 02? Could be worth a shot?

·
Administrator
27,799 Posts
I've seen the code written on many radios over the years. roverville had to change their name during the TaTa take over like every vendor with "Rover" in their name did. They are now GB4x4radios. They would still be a better bet because they can clean up your radio and even a discrete input on the front. They are absolutely great to work with and have very high quality workmanship.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Yes, it is Lima, NY, currently under 2 feet of snow. Town is so small that the "Welcome To" and Please come again signs are on the same post. Knock on wood, this is still a fine working car, even the EAS. No codes, no issues, hope to keep it alive a long time. My off roading is confined to the farm lanes, fields and woods. I like the weather band on the radio, have no desire to make it high tech or replace. What started the post was that I was surprised there was no archived information even at the original selling dealer, or the servicing dealer the next 10 yrs.; after all, it's only 18 yrs. old. The suggestion to power off the radio before disconnecting the battery made sense, and the fact that a dealer can enter a generic code to revive if a code does appear.

Thank you repliers again!

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
Even if it is switched off when you disconnect the battery, it will still need the code. A dealer should be able to download all info on the car from the Land Rover server, I got the radio code, EKA, lockset barcode and all build data for a '96 P38 from a local main agent a couple of weeks ago. Your dealers just aren't trying hard enough.

·
Registered
83 Posts
So this might be weird, but did you confirm you need a code? I have a 99' SE with the factory radio and for some reason my radio didn't need a code. I didn't want to disconnect the battery for fear of not being able to get the radio back up. I was at the dealer once and had them look up my code and they couldn't find it. Eventually, I just pulled the battery after it went bad and put a new battery in and no code, it just worked. The battery has died after that and I've replaced it and still no code request. Is that weird?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,421 Posts
Weird? yea, illogical? Certainly.......
If it is an anti theft "Feature" then they should all require a code to work after battery is disconnected. In my personal experience, my white 02 needs a code, my former 00 needed a code, the 96 parts car did not, my 00 parts car not only did not need a radio code, but nothing I could do to it would cause the becm to immobilise it! and I tried very hard to make it do so (with Dr Scott's assurance he would unlock it).....My new Borrego, an 02 does not need a radio code...But will immob. if you annoy it!:naughty:
So no rhyme nor reason, just some seem to need a code and others do not?
Gotta love it! Just another part of the P-38 enigma

1 - 11 of 11 Posts