RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to pass along that based on all i have read on this forum i decided to go ahead and replace my radiator as PM- 04 HSE with 70K

I found a killer deal at http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/L ... Drivetrain

I entered code APWCART and got the BEHR radiator for 251.96 with free shipping-

seems like a great deal on the BEHR part- I am not sure about these trucks but BEHR was factory on my Benz so i think they are quality parts...

only question i have is how many jugs of coolant should i pick up from BMW to refill?

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
You can get the G48 coolant at Land Rover and it is cheap. Make sure you can make 10 ltrs of coolant - You should only need 8.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
211 Posts
Rich998a said:
You can get the G48 coolant at Land Rover and it is cheap. Make sure you can make 10 ltrs of coolant - You should only need 8.
Cheap? At Land Rover? No. BMW has it for half the price.

·
Registered
47 Posts
gisham said:
Just wanted to pass along that based on all i have read on this forum i decided to go ahead and replace my radiator as PM- 04 HSE with 70K

I found a killer deal at http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/L ... Drivetrain

I entered code APWCART and got the BEHR radiator for 251.96 with free shipping-

seems like a great deal on the BEHR part- I am not sure about these trucks but BEHR was factory on my Benz so i think they are quality parts...

only question i have is how many jugs of coolant should i pick up from BMW to refill?
Thanks for letting us know! I was actually shopping around for one and found them to be $400-$500+. I have an 03 with 109k and just found out that the passenger side corner has a small leak. 2-5 drops a day but figure I should replace it soon. Did you figure out how you are going to take the fan nut off?

I also think the radiator was replaced only 3 years ago because the top of it has a manufacturers date of 2007. So I'm assuming the previous owner had it replaced already. Shame that these radiators are crapping out so soon.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fan nut? are you referring to the clutch fan or the electric?

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
gooddfella said:
Rich998a said:
Cheap? At Land Rover? No. BMW has it for half the price.
Yea, I forgot. Rip Off America. :lol:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Behr makes the OEM radiator. I replaced mine without removing the fan & fan clutch. removing that's only needed when replacing the belt I think. It may be a good time to consider replacing that too, since it's MUCH easier with the radiator out. And while you're at it, check the other "bits" under there - water pump, alternator...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies-

Guess it brings up a topic alot if us guys who are buying 5-6 year old trucks with 50-75K miles on them would be interested in.

Besides the radiator what would the forums general concensus be regarding preventative maintenance? Fan clutch? water pumps usually last quite a long time and weep or makes some noise before they go..

what about the thermostat? tranny cooler thermostat?

thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I did:

New front air from arnott, new radiator, new water pump, fan clutch, tranny fluid change, front rear diff fluid change, transfer case fluid change, there is a plastic piece that feeds the trany cooler radiator - i replaced that, belts and any hoses that looked worn and new expansion tank with cap.

Good for another 70K miles...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
On my '03, the following parts each failed between 73,000 & 80,000 miles:

73,500 miles - Upper coolant hose - catastrophic failure of the plastic connector to water pump broke off dumping coolant while driving on the highway.
74,800 miles - Expansion tank - non-catastrophic failure, developed noticable leak along a seam.
77,900 miles - Radiator - non-catastrophic, developed noticable leak at the upper-rear drivers side of the radiator.
79, 900 miles - Water pump - catastrophic failure, bearing failed and pump disintegrated, taking out the ancillary belt and dumping all the coolant while driving down the highway.

If I had known then what I know now, I would have replaced them all at the same time.
There is also a coolant line at the back of the engine that has failed for some fellow forum members. I wil be replacing that post-haste. I wish I'd been aware of that hose sooner too. I already replaced the lower rad hose when I replaced the upper. When I had the pump replaced, I also had the thermostat replaced (and belts of course, since the main was destroyed). I'm tempted to go ahead & replace the alternator proactively, or at least the diodes within the rectifier.

Whatever you decide, best of luck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the responses- so it seems the cooling system on these trucks is definately the weak point... it just seems so over-engineered with 6 different lines going every which way, thermostat heater, tranny cooler thermostats... what gives?- too many points for it to fail-

I have a new radiator sitting in my warehouse and my parts list is getting long, yet not too expensive for what all im replacing (around 1200.00 for parts)

radiator
fan clutch
thermostat
water pump (OEM Gasket)
all 6 coolant hoses
2 gallons of BMW coolant-
5 liters of Esso Tranny Fluid
Tranny Filter and gasket

most of the stuff i am getting from autopartswarehouse for veryreasonable prices...

should i replace this tranny cooler thermostat as well? Has anyone just removed it allowing the tranny to be cooled all the time? Here in Florida i dont think over cooling would be too much an issue...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
gisham said:
... the weak point... it just seems so over-engineered with 6 different lines going every which way, thermostat heater, tranny cooler thermostats... what gives?- too many points for it to fail ...
I don't know if I would say it's THE weak point. Maybe it ranks up in the top 10 or 15 weak points. But maybe (I hope) mine is the exception rather than the rule, even though mine seems to be living up to the stereotype that I've heard of for many years.

I agree about the excessive complexity of the cooling systems, and most other parts of the RR. So many other vehicles have much simpler and tried-and-true systems that do the jobs extremely well; even better than the RR in some cases, such as engine cooling, owner accessory selection configuration (choosing to have the doors lock automatically or not and countless others) and maintenance, even things as simple as calculating gas mileage is over-complicated and ineffective.

I'm ranting again. My apologies to any of the most loyal of RR fans who may be offended or take my rant personal - no offense intended.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just wanted to post an update: I swapped out my 6 year old (04 model) radiator and upper and lower hoses this weekend. Took around 3 hours from start to completion following the RAVE instructions. FYI: I was able to complete this without removing the clutch fan. You simply remove the intake tube from the air box to the intake which allows you to lay the fan shroud back towards the motor. The radiator slides almost straight up so it was a breeze- The hoses are also very easy to change. I wanted to show you what the difference in the old radiator and new:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts