RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 09 HST I've had a chance to use this radar cruise and my first comment is that when car companies come out with new things they don't always get it right. The cruise is supposed to follow the car ahead of you and adjust the speed so that you can use the it in traffic. Mercedes has a similar one and it's the new thing in cruise control for luxury cars. It works well in the RRS but has a few issues. The set speed indicated in the display is 5 mph off from what the speedometer says. It can not be used on Interstate curves in a lot of traffic. It will see a car in another lane and unexceptionally slam on the brakes. When the car gets out of the way it takes it's sweet time to resume the set speed. With Mercedes it took a year to get kinks out of their system and it would be nice if LR got it right before using me as a guinea pig. But it does work well for what it is supposed to do most of the time.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I bought my wife a new QX56 a month ago and we took it on a trip to Minnesota. The "Radar" cruise control works pretty slick. It kept me at maybe 5 car lengths behind this cat that was speeding for the majority of the trip. I never had issues with curves or cars in the next lane.

Is that something that is only for the HST's or do the regular 09 RRS's have it? I want it, but wont pay the cash if its an upgrade.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Adaptive Cruise Control is a $2,000 factory option for 06-09 S/C models only, up to MY2009 it was not available on HSE trims - don't think it will be on MY2010s, either (I believe in markets outside of North America it can also be ordered as a factory option on TdV8 models.) I am assuming HST trims, which come pretty much fully equipped, would also include ACC as standard? It's not a dealer installed accessory.

·
Registered
115 Posts
5 car lengths? On 287 or 78 in NJ you wouldn't stand a chance! People and those trash haulers would be cutting in front of you so fast that the brakes would always be on.
Can you turn it off so it doesn't keep that distance but you still have cruise control?

·
Registered
270 Posts
We were on Nice and easy I-35 through Missouri, Iowa and Minnesota.

I think you can turn it off. I didnt. You can also adjust how far back you are following. It was like 3 presets.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
bop08 said:
Can you turn it off so it doesn't keep that distance but you still have cruise control?
No. You can increase or decrease the minimum distance between you and the car in front of you before ACC applies the brakes, but you cannot just shut off the radar to turn ACC into a "plain vanilla" cruise control system.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can't turn it off and use it like a normal cruise control. Every time I use it I have to manually pick the following distance and if I don't pick it picks the longest and hangs way back there. I'll have to ask the dealer if they can adjust the beam so it won't see other cars in other lanes in a turn and slam on the brakes when you aren't expecting it. But I like it, if your in traffic it just follows the next car. If he stops suddenly it takes action, I don't think it would stop it but I'm not going to let it go that far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts