RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1,482 Posts
I'd be surprised if they weren't custom. I haven't seen any expedition-grade racks for the L405. However, I did see that Voyager now offers a decent rack for the L494, so maybe they'll have one for the L405 soon, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

You'd think Brownchurch or ARB would have something, but nada. Maybe in a few more years, but until then, you probably will need them custom fabricated.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Very well could have been. Disco and DiscoII stuff have been fitted to P38s with mods. LR3 stuff has been fitted to L322s... with mods. The actual rack/basket is not the issue. If I were going to outfit one of ours I would buy the LR4 set up and have a shop manufacture proper mount points.

THe winch however... that gets a bit more complicated but same idea applies. Most likely LR4 kit or test bed equipment customised for the 405.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My understanding is that the roof rack was just attached to the factory crossbars (you can kind of see the factory roof rack in the photo). So there would presumably be relatively limited load capacity compared to a real solution, such as a Frontrunner or similar rack. I had looked into mounting something like a Frontrunner and it's possible using the factory rack mount points, but requires a bit of custom work to attach the rack tracks / feet to the roof and is probably going to be somewhat load limited since you're mounting to the same points the factory rack uses. IMO, this really isn't the best vehicle to mount a roof rack on, especially if you want to put any significant load on it, such as a RTT. The LR4 would probably be a much better option for that sort of application.

The big problem with bumpers and winches is dealing with things like proper airbag deployment in case of an accident and mounting the various sensors and lights that are in the front end. And of course, making it integrate nicely so it doesn't look like it's just bolted on. Having something custom fabricated that takes all of that into account isn't likely to be inexpensive and isn't something I'd be inclined to have just any local fabricator do (mostly because of the potential airbag concerns).

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
20 Posts
The winch is a warn. You can google the information. I think it is a 9000 lb winch. Very well executed.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
A winch mount like that could be made by any half decent fab place/guy. It wont affect the sensors etc too much with it being behind everything. Just a winch tray and correct mounts, then Cut the bumper in the right spot.

Martin

·
Registered
11 Posts
A winch mount like that could be made by any half decent fab place/guy. It wont affect the sensors etc too much with it being behind everything. Just a winch tray and correct mounts, then Cut the bumper in the right spot.

Martin
Plastic bumper is $2k unpainted. Don't cut the wrong spot. ;)

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts

Martin
Plastic bumper is $2k unpainted. Don't cut the wrong spot. ;)
Think I mentioned that already.....
I'd charge handsomely for it myself, due to that very fact. It would be nice and solid when done though.
Martin

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2 Posts
The roof rack is from a previous shape RRSport - its the G4 factory Expedition rack, and still available from your Dealer. Its mounted onto factory roof rails on the L405.

As others have said the Warn winch sits in a hidden winch mount that I believe LR UK had custom built for these cars - but would certainly be easy to replicate (suggest Devon4x4 would do it): https://www.devon4x4.com/d44-discovery-3-4-discreet-winch-mount-kit.html

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thought I would try to refresh this thread. Of course it would be easy to custom fab a mount, my concern is a safe mounting point for the winch given the unibody. Anybody know anything about the front end or a safe place to drill the mount to?

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
You also have to remember that on promo vehicles accessories like park sensors, AEB... anything in the front bumper area are disabled for custom items hiding behind the bumpers. Chances are that even the SRS is disabled and/or components moved/removed. You find something as heavy and structural an a winch mount on unibody takes alot more than drilling and bolting to make it withstand the stresses of recovery.

·
FOUNDER
638 Posts
A sales person at our local dealer recently told me in response to my question that they could fit a winch to the latest Range Rovers -- I was skeptical but would like to believe it!

Cheers

John

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing which dealer that was....I may give them a call. Someone from Land Rover Marketing told me he thought the bracket came from a winch mount that was released to the Brazilian Market. Go figure...

·
FOUNDER
638 Posts
Yes it was Land Rover Marin in Corte Madera, I think the sales person's name was Tori. He/she said they can install the winch and brushguard on the new models but the brushguard installation can stop some of the radar/sonar features like adaptive cruise or front parking cameras may be disabled.

I would be most interested in anything anyone else finds out on this topic!

Cheers

John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts