RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning - I have just found this forum - great adivce and info :thumb:

recently bought 4.0 1999 p38 to the list of landy's - I am looking to get a full roofrack - other that the SD one which is like gold dust - what options are there.

can a RR Sport Expo rack be fitted - looks like very similar fittings
Would love to move my Front Runner rack from defender to RR but cannot get brackets to fit. :(

Also anyone have part no for heavy duty springs for back - Been converted but they are a bit soft and when towing car sits down a bit -

Cheers

Hugh

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hi Hugh and welcome to the forum.

I spoke to a guy in the RRR who found a conversion kit from Nene Overland I think that fits into the rain channels and allows you to fit a rack for a car that has rain gutters, this chap then used a Transit van rack on this conversion kit. I'm sure it was Nene Overland did the kit, maybe Rich998a can get hold of this kit or knows of it????

I'm assuming your in the UK saying this mind.

With regards your springs......many will say it's been castrated having the air taken off but there you go......mine had a coil kit fitted when I bought it (yes I knew no different at the time :roll: ) but I upgraded the coils to RR Classic HD +1 springs, it gave a bit of a lift over the Bearmach blue springs and it sits level with a 10mm trim packer on the front springs, also the back doesn't drop as much with a car trailer hooked up......just a thought. If you do go for HD springs make sure your shocks are in good condition as well as your shock bushes as the ride will firm up a bit, just had my shock bushes replaced and the ride is nice and smoooooth now.

If you tow a heavy trailer a lot you might consider putting the air suspension back on the car as it's self leveling as well as height adjustable.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
I was parked right next to a sport yesterday - maybe it was just an optical illusion due to the raked pillars, but the roof looked quite a bit shorter. Interseting idea, though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LIRA said:
Hi Hugh and welcome to the forum.

I spoke to a guy in the RRR who found a conversion kit from Nene Overland I think that fits into the rain channels and allows you to fit a rack for a car that has rain gutters, this chap then used a Transit van rack on this conversion kit. I'm sure it was Nene Overland did the kit, maybe Rich998a can get hold of this kit or knows of it????

I'm assuming your in the UK saying this mind.

With regards your springs......many will say it's been castrated having the air taken off but there you go......mine had a coil kit fitted when I bought it (yes I knew no different at the time :roll: ) but I upgraded the coils to RR Classic HD +1 springs, it gave a bit of a lift over the Bearmach blue springs and it sits level with a 10mm trim packer on the front springs, also the back doesn't drop as much with a car trailer hooked up......just a thought. If you do go for HD springs make sure your shocks are in good condition as well as your shock bushes as the ride will firm up a bit, just had my shock bushes replaced and the ride is nice and smoooooth now.

If you tow a heavy trailer a lot you might consider putting the air suspension back on the car as it's self leveling as well as height adjustable.
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I'm in UK - Just outside Edinurgh

I am heading to local 4x4 place today so will have a chat about options for springs - I have replaced rear sspensions on an old disco 1 and both defenders - They seemed easy - any tips on doing the p38. I will replace the dampers at the same time - better doing this when its stripped down. According to the paperwork with the car - Air was replaced about 2 and half years ago. So maybe time to re-new.

What dampers are you running with?

Hugh

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
I havn't heard of this kit, but then all these engineering workshops are constantly creating new ideas. I'd be suprised though if anyone did it. The p38 is the last model on anyone's mind when it comes to aftermarket accessories. :roll:

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'll try and get hold of the fella in the club and verify where he got the kit from. I know the rack he had on was for the short wheel base transit.

The P38 on coils will be just like a Disco, it'll have the conversion spring seats on the axle with tie down straps. If your height sensors are still in place you can unbolt those to let the axle drop further when you undo the bottom shock mount.

The shocks I've got are Koni Heavy Track dampers, they're a bit too firm really esp off road, I'd go with new standard shocks if I was doing it again, a bit softer ride and cheaper too......because don't forget HD springs will firm things up too and a Rangie is supposed to comfortable.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,427 Posts
My rack:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
148 Posts
Ron.... You have a nice rack... Hubba Hubba :clap:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts