RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anyone done a R380 or LT77 swap in a classic before? I'm considering it, and would appreciate the resource.

I know that the '95 came with a manual option from the factory, but don't think it was available in NAS. A parts-only discovery with a manual box popped up on craigslist, but I want to understand the process before diving into this.

Question that I have:

Transmission interchangeability :

• Do the manual and automatic transmissions have the same bolt pattern (assuming yes, but never hurts to check)
  • Are the transmissions mounted in the same way?
  • Are they the same length?
  • Do they connect to the transferbox and driveshaft in the same way?
Parts needed:
  • Besides the obvious flywheel, transmission, clutch and cylinder from the donor truck, what else?
  • Will the pedal box from the 94 bolt into the 95?
  • How do we "fool the engine" into thinking it is in Park so that it turns on?
Installation process:

• I read that you have to spread the frame rails to get the old box out. Has anyone done this before? Any other things I should watch out for?
Thanks!
Tom

·
Super Moderator
2,322 Posts
Late model Classic and Discovery 1 are basically the same vehicle under the skin so a swap for an R380 and it's transfer box should be straightforward. Although you didn't get the manual option in the US they were common in Europe. Spreading the chassis rails isn't to allow the gearbox to come out, it's to allow the crossmember to be dropped. Sometimes you need to do it, other times a crowbar will get it out. To fool the engine into thinking it is in neutral or park, you simply short together pins 4 and 5 on C323 on the LH side of the transmission and connect pins 2 and 3 to the reversing light switch on the gearbox. Pedal box should be a straight swap too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Richard! I'll take pictures if we try this out.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I did a bit of research for a possible manual swap on my 84 (different gearbox) and found that the transferbox might have a different ratio between manual and auto. This could also impact your speedo calibration. Might be worth checking part numbers between the two setups.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You also need to change the 14CUX transmission select resistor. It needs to be 560ohms (I think) and it’s an orange wire with a black tracer. This makes the engine hold the revs up slightly while changing gear.

Have you considered the crankshaft main bearings? The manual transmission cars had thrust washers to deal with the added clutch pressure.

T box’s will bolt straight up in the right place. Make sure you get the r380 with its mount bracket as this is different to the auto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You also need to change the 14CUX transmission select resistor. It needs to be 560ohms (I think) and it’s an orange wire with a black tracer. This makes the engine hold the revs up slightly while changing gear.

Have you considered the crankshaft main bearings? The manual transmission cars had thrust washers to deal with the added clutch pressure.

T box’s will bolt straight up in the right place. Make sure you get the r380 with its mount bracket as this is different to the auto

Thanks rangerovering, bringing this back because I am starting this project next month.

Can you please share more details about this extra thrust washer? In the engine overhaul manual it doesn't specify any differences between the engines of automatic and manual cars. It just says that "crankshaft end float is controlled by thrust faces on the upper half of center main bearing shell." Looks like the center main bearing is flanged while the others are not.

Where is the thrust washer installed, and where can I find that part?

Tom

·
Registered
523 Posts
As far as I know it's as you've got it, there's no additional thrust fitted to either spec. That flanged main bearing is the only thrust in use.

Rear end of crank is ordinarily machined to accept the spigot of torque converter at standard diameter, it uses a phosphor bronze bush that is pushed in the same hole to give correct support to the manual transmission 1st motion shaft. So you'll need one of those to convert.
This is literally a small sleeve that you can push into the crank and should be easily available as it's sometimes needed to be changed for wear reasons when working on them.

Not sure if lt77 and r380 use the same spec, so you'll need to research that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I maybe didn’t explain very well earlier, I agree with you both it’s the centre main bearing that controls the end float. I was under the impression that there is a difference between auto and manual spec engines although it seems an unnecessary complication to production. It’s well mentioned on the internet about thrust “washer” issues, maybe the manual cars have thicker webs on the bearings?

I will do some digging.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome, thanks both!

I did find the bronze bush online, however the manual says that fitting it may require reaming to the proper size - I'm a little worried about that, because I don't have the proper tools to do that correctly.

I do have the donor R380 ready to go though, see pic... stay tuned.

R380.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I just finished this (have loads of pictures to share). It was quite fun.

But now stuck on one last problem: it seems the clutch won't fully disengage? Brand new Lockheed master cylinder from Lucky8, new AP slave cylinder from Lucky8 as well, new AP clutch kit... spent a while bleeding the clutch and the pedal feels good, but it still won't fully come off the flywheel.

I've done some research and there seems to be a good bit of conflict about different length slave cylinders/pushrods and different sized release bearings for the diesel r380 vs the gas trucks. Does anyone know this to be true?

Right now I'm letting the truck sit, hoping it will "self-bleed" as some have suggested, but will also try inserting a small spacer into the slave cylinder to give me that last centimeter or so of clutch travel.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update, it works now. So much fun to drive.

IMG_6292.jpg

Reactions: sesmith72
1 - 11 of 11 Posts