RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE facelift
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

A quiet but constant whining sound drives me crazy for the last 8-10 months.
The sound is always there, following the rotations of the engine. You can best hear it (and even feel the vibrations of it on the wheel) at about 650 rpm, when the normal sounds of the engine and outside noise are considerably low. The next peak is at about 1300 RPM. Between these rpm it can also be heard/felt, but not so distinct. I guess it gets in sort of resonance state, because 1300 = 2 x 650

Dealership mechanic #1 - does not hear it (or does not want to)
Dealership mechanic #2 - says it is "normal working sound" which I absolutely refuse to accept!

Anyone any idea??
Please bear in mind that my engine is a diesel 3.0 SDV6 HSE 306 hp, which I guess quite few of you have.

Thanks in advance for saving my life! )))

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saw the dealer at last. NOTHING!
Says this is a 'normal" working engine sound. This is the fourth different dealer's opinion for the last 12 months.
Unfortunately I cannot capture it in a sound clip, at least with my phone.
Strange thing is that this sound is best and clearly heard if you press your ear hard to the steering wheel.
I know that someday some clever dealer will find what it is, but hope I will not be 100 years old by that time

·
Registered
200 Posts
Capt., I have a similar problem. But mine is loud and you can definitely hear it from the cabin. Mine is most noticeable at lower speeds between 15-30 mph. I made a video. Take a look:

I have an appt at the dealer for it. Is this what you're hearing?

Jose

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Capt., I have a similar problem. But mine is loud and you can definitely hear it from the cabin. Mine is most noticeable at lower speeds between 15-30 mph. I made a video. Take a look:

Jose
Hi Jose,
Sounds similar, but as far as I can see your sound is more likely linked with the MPH - it appears clearly between 22-28 mph, no matter what RPM your engine has.
Unlikely, mine is clearly dependent with RPM - it 'raises its voice" at 650, then diminishes, then again at 1300
How did yo manage to make a recording that good? I could not 'catch' it at all.

Anyway, please keep us posted after your visit to the dealer=
Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts

Jose
Did you change your dash? I've never seen that one before

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm betting it is the vehicles Electronic Power Assisted Steering "PumP" that you are hearing fellas... Especially when the OP says he can hear it best at idle with his head pressed up and to the steering wheel along with a slight steering wheel vibration. The EPAS is a totally different power source for Power Steering when compared to a belt driven, traditional/mechanical power assisted steering pump that runs off the accessory belt from the Crank. EPAS's don't drain/bleed off power away from the Engine itself the way a Belt Driven Power Steering Pump/System does. It frees up usable horsepower and torque. Think of it like running your belt driven AC Compressor... it taxes the engine a bit thus costing power and a slight drop in fuel mileage. So that "whine" you hear, and the vibration in the steering wheel you feel at 650RPM's or idle is the EPAS system at it's lowest "Power" setting or Voltage setting. Just like your vehicles battery and alternator are producing the least amount of voltage/amps are the least amount at idle when compared to say running 70mph at 2500RPM's on the freeway.

I've heard this slight whine on my 5.0L V8 SC Rover when the Rover first cranks up. It always goes away though when the Voltage reaches about a 13.0 reading after about 20 seconds after turning on my Rover. When she reaches somewhat close to normal operating temp the voltage reads between 14.2 and 14.4 Volts and everything is smooth running electronically and mechanically. I happen to know the voltage reading because that reading is a feature on my Cobra Radar/Laser Detector that will tell you if your battery is good, or low, and the reading of the voltage thereof. It's a nice feature because on my previous vehicle I'd know when the Explorer Sports battery was always about to go "Tits-Up" and I'm sure it saved me from being stranded in a parking deck more than once. I had that vehicle for 4+ years and had to put 4 high cold cranking amped, expensive batteries in that time as it ate batteries up worse than any vehicle before it. It too had an EPAS system as well and whined a bit as well.

Hope this helps and best regards,
-Ham

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
320 Posts
Jose
Jose, I just watched your YouTube clip, that sounds very much like mine did when the rear diff bearing was damaged due to the pinion seal leak. Have a look underneath for signs of oil sweat/leak by the rear diff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm betting it is the vehicles Electronic Power Assisted Steering "PumP" that you are hearing fellas...
Thanks Ham, your bet is close to my guess.
My only doubt comes from the fact that the frequency and volume of the sound is in no way dependent on turning the wheel left/right. I had same issue with Grand Cherokee, but you could hear changes at turning the wheel.
Could you please tell me where this Power Steering Pump is located? I could try to give it an ear using a sthetoscope or something and try to recognise the sound.
Thanks and be safe, everyone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts