RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Quicksilver exhaust on my RRS 5.0/V8 dynamic this morning. My initial drive was like 'wow, perfect!' Nice growl when accelerating. Cabin noise was not even noticeable in that short drive. Then this afternoon I took it on the highway. Not so happy. It seems maybe between 1500-2000 RPM (? will have to look closer) there is a loud drone. When going downhill, or laying off the gas is not bad. A quick search found a few people with other vehicles who had installed x-pipe, or removed the resonator? Any advice or similar surgeries in this group?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I installed a Quicksilver exhaust on my RRS 5.0/V8 dynamic this morning. My initial drive was like 'wow, perfect!' Nice growl when accelerating. Cabin noise was not even noticeable in that short drive. Then this afternoon I took it on the highway. Not so happy. It seems maybe between 1500-2000 RPM (? will have to look closer) there is a loud drone. When going downhill, or laying off the gas is not bad. A quick search found a few people with other vehicles who had installed x-pipe, or removed the resonator? Any advice or similar surgeries in this group?
I would also be very interested in a solution to this issue, as I had to remove my Quicksilver exhaust, it was just too intense over time. Any long drives would bug the hell out of me, almost like having someone using a pneumatic drill close by constantly. Tried to contact Quicksilver for a solution, as their sales pitch says "slightly more presence, but not too intrusive" or something to that effect, but to no avail.
As for the x-pipe, there already is a join just after the middle box on the quicksilver where the gasses can flow between the two pipes, so I'm not sure an x-pipe would do much good. I have been thinking of trying a crossover pipe somewhere around the rear boxes, but haven't got round to it yet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks SCar for the response. I just drove about 15 miles on the highway. No noticeable drone?!? So wierd. The drone as I looked closer seems between 1500-2K RPM, when pushing at which is what I want, and expected. Starting to question my own sanity I'll have to see what it's like again on a longer drive.
In the meantime I ordered the VelocityAP, should be here Monday. That will be fun.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the drone is 1800-2K RPM when the motor is under a bit of load, like a slight incline or acceleration. When it was gone (previous post) I was actually traveling to a slightly lower elevation on a flat highway. Anyway I am looking at J pipes welded into the system as a solution. Google J pipe drone, and it seems a common issue among V8s of all makes. Here was one link https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1718591-exhaust-drone-engine-swaps-solved.html. Some are more bothered than others ;-)
I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the resonator removed and an X-Pipe installed on my 2017 RRS V8 Dynamic. No increase in performance however the sound is just perfect for me.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've had the resonator and centre silencer on my MY15 replaced with straight pipes by the local exhaust shop, nothing fancy.

It makes really loud noises under acceleration & deceleration, but I have not experienced any droning noise at highway speeds (100-140kmh).

RRS Exhaust (4).jpg

·
Registered
407 Posts
About 8 months ago, much to the dismay of my wife, I had the resonator + centre silencer replaced with straight pipes - nothing fancy, just a cut and weld at the local exhaust shop.

Very satisfied with the added noise - lots of pop & crackle on braking, and a mental sound when accelerating. But there is no droning noise at highway speeds (100-140kmh).

RRS Exhaust (4).jpg

RRS Exhaust (11).jpg

·
Registered
407 Posts
Might try this! Glad I saw the post - thank you!
be careful though, wifey *still* complains that it's too loud on startup :lol:

I've also heard that it's not too good to have each bank's exhaust on its own, and the 'mixer' box (on the left in the second photo I posted) should not be removed that the exhaust from each bank can mix. Not sure how true/accurate that is though...

·
Registered
407 Posts
btw, you can hear for yourself how loud the exhaust is in this clip:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Around 6:20 was where I could feel it. Sounds great
indeed, and that was on open ground. In town, it's even louder - children run away screaming :lol:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just had the VelocityAP installed, and it seems the engine now revs higher, usually staying above the 1900 RPM range where I get the drone. I always drive in dynamic sports mode. Should rename it rocket mode now. I think this solved my drone problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
About 8 months ago, much to the dismay of my wife, I had the resonator + centre silencer replaced with straight pipes - nothing fancy, just a cut and weld at the local exhaust shop.

Very satisfied with the added noise - lots of pop & crackle on braking, and a mental sound when accelerating. But there is no droning noise at highway speeds (100-140kmh).

View attachment 272742

View attachment 272744
Do you still have the reso and muffler?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I posted it in for sale section. I think you (or someone else) thought price was too high? Happy to do look at best offer. Thanks

·
Registered
407 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good thread guys..I was going to buy Quicksilvers Sport Exhaust for my SVR, but based on the feedback here I'll save myself $1500 and just buy the X-Pipe.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
35 Posts
I know this is old but do you remember the pipe size of the quicksilver exhaust? 2-1/4 maybe 2-1/2? Was it bigger than stock???

Thanks,

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
35 Posts
I would also be very interested in a solution to this issue, as I had to remove my Quicksilver exhaust, it was just too intense over time. Any long drives would bug the hell out of me, almost like having someone using a pneumatic drill close by constantly. Tried to contact Quicksilver for a solution, as their sales pitch says "slightly more presence, but not too intrusive" or something to that effect, but to no avail.
As for the x-pipe, there already is a join just after the middle box on the quicksilver where the gasses can flow between the two pipes, so I'm not sure an x-pipe would do much good. I have been thinking of trying a crossover pipe somewhere around the rear boxes, but haven't got round to it yet.
I know this is old but do you remember the pipe size of the quicksilver exhaust? 2-1/4 maybe 2-1/2? Was it bigger than stock???

Thanks,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts