RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done OK the last two winters here in Denver without snow tires, but this year it may be worse snow.

I've been looking to get 19" wheels, with our without tires.

I've found a set of 19s with TPMS (subject to verifying that), but they have 235/65 Pirelli Scorpion Verde (all season) tires, rather than th 255.

If the treads good, I was thinking I could see how they work with the smaller footprint, compared to the 20s. If they work in the snow, great, if now, I can put snows onto them.

I'm not a 'tire guy', so I'm looking for some thoughts.

Any advice?

thanks!

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
many folks here have had good luck with and like the verde. THere is not enough of a size differnce between 235 and 255 to worry about. Tread design and rubber composition are the main factors in winter tyres. Having spent a new years week in Denver snow I an happy I had Nitto Grapplers for the added bite and beefiness. THere are countless threads on tyres, winter tyres etc for you to gain opinions from.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Interesting rims, I don;t think I have ever seen those ones.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The seller says they came of a 2014 sport.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
I haven't tried to swap any, and even though the hub is completely different, to the eye the the newer wheels look like they would fit the older hubs, no where close to the difference from P38 to L322 at least, but my eye isn't a caliper.

Has it been settled that L405/494 wheels will fit on the older hubs? I haven't looked on Topix but there's conflicting info with a search on here.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Oh crud, no wonder I didn;t recognize them. Yea the hubs are in deed different. Right now I am too exhausted to remember which is larger. No matter what they are NOT direct fit.

I would save your monies and look for older Sport, LR3 rims in the smaller size as they would be direct fit with no fuss. Most likely much less expensive as welll.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.

I gave the seller a few bills to hold them and to pay for getting TPMS installed. I just sent him a link to the thread. He's a small independent car dealer (with nice rides!).

I let him know that we should check and make sure they will fit., i.e., try and mount one before we get the TPMS installed.

Appreciate all the help.

As I said, I'm not a tire guy.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Blunt time, they will not fit. Wrong gen, different hub sizes. THis is not a case of they get delivered and you bolt them on.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have talked to the seller. He understands, and doesn't want to sell me the wrong wheels.

Straight up guy, what a concept!

Appreciate all the input.

Blunt is good!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can get four wheels of the right size for $200.

All a first-world problem.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The aforementioned wheels (and tires) fit just fine.

We mounted on on the front to insure it cleared the Bembros and it did with ease.

The hub size is 72.56 mm, as it is on the L322.

The tires appear to be brand new, as are the wheels and TPMS are included in the price.

Frankly, there's not that much difference in buying in beat-up $200 wheels and then adding on tires and TPMS than this all-in price.

I've run the RR on all seasons for two winters, and I've done that on my former '98 BMW 740iL, with good success. I did have snows for the bimmer, but I really didn't notice that much difference between those and the winter tires.

I grew up driving rear-wheel drive Pontiacs in the late '60s outside of Chicago, and needless to say, even the rear-wheel drive BMW with traction control was vastly superior in winter handling.

5,000 pounds of RR over narrower tires should do just fine, unless I want to start doing arctic rescue this winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts