RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Trying to buy a 97 hse. There is no service record and the car hasn't been driven in two years except for occasional startups.
The buyer doesn't know what the mileage is but he thinks it's definitely over 100k and he won't know for sure until he
puts a battery in next week.

I am noob. What is considered decent mileage for this car?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
.... and EAS is shot. From the photo the RR is on the bumpstop.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you can get it in decent cosmetic condition and its $1,000 or close to it - fine. More than that I would want to drive it for at least 50 miles to see what the issues are. There are plenty of them out there in the $4-6,000 range that are in decent mechanical condition with good service histories.

Buy one not knowing much will give you a quick education and a lite wallet - don't ask me how I know!

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
nobrake said:
I am noob.
unless you are highly mechanically (and electrically) inclined and just new to Land Rovers, this could become a VERY expensive "cheap" RR. I would hesitate on a deal like this and RR's are my business....

There's a reason this poor RR hasn't been on the road, and it's not simply because the PO has other cars he likes better.

My father-in-law is a Porsche guy, he has a bumper-sticker on his toolbox-

"there's nothing more expensive than an inexpensive Porsche"

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1000 bucks? hmmm I don't know if i can get that low but it's a worth a shot.

btw. can you tell me what is the 'decent' mileage for this car?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tinkered and enjoyed with a Volvo for past 10 years and I just got tired of keeping it alive.
I am no RR expert but how much more hard can it be?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ohhh, such innocence!

Everything mechanical, electrical, and logical in these has a life span - which all seem to end in the 80 - 120,000 mile time line.

The "Whew! Not so bad!" repairs - even doing the work yourself - can be a couple hundred bucks.

The "****! You've got to be kidding me!" ones will be a couple thousand.

Get AAA before you buy one!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Tread wisely, I often get these kind of "got it cheap" in for repairs totaling silly money as they are so badly maintained, biggest mistakes so far is got it cheap and its nice and big.....nah I say cost they think they are now owning a peace of bling bling and I get bored of it, parts are parts and becuase its old it doesnt mean its going to be a cheap fix.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts