RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, got a quick question for the board...

I've been diagnosed a head gasket problem. So far the plan is to buy an Atlantic British full gasket kit and get all of them replaced, as well as get the heads and valves cleaned.

I'm also thinking about dealing with some mild lifter noise, and here is where my dilema lies..

I read online (RPI site) that just replacing lifters alone isn't recomended, and that you should always replace the camshaft while you are there. Not sure about the rods and other bits, but would love to hear some recomendations from here `)

So, what is it ? Is it fine to replace just the lifters or do I need to get a new cam as well ? I really don't want to spend any more than needed. Engine is 101,000 miles, running well and never had any engine job done. Acording to the dealer's records it was never opened.

BTW, are there any shortcuts to replace the lifters ? I mean, is it possible to replace lifters and rods by just removing the intake manifold/valley gasket ?

Also, how can I tell, without opening the engine, the condition of the cam/lifters/rods ? This is very important because all parts need to be ordered abroad, in advance, so logisitics are essential.

Thanks in advance,

N.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
I can only go by my own experience.
I was going to just replace the lifters, as I had a noisy one. However, after listening to further advice on this board, I bought a complete kit, including cam, from RPI.
Am I glad I did. Three of the cam lobes were very worn, I'm suprised the old girl went as well as she did!!
Apparently, once the case hardening is worn thru' the lobe wears down quickly.
Might want to save yourself further grief by following the route I took :thumb:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
New Rockers x16, new rocker shafts x2, new pushrods x16, new hydraulic lifters x16.

Rarely do cams wear that much that they require replacing BUT... needs to be inspected
Worn camshafts are caused by lack of servicing and low quality oils, oil type is important and usualy a Diesel 15W40 is ideal as a good branded diesel oil will still contain Zinc which is important for flat base hydraulic lifters

1 - 3 of 3 Posts