RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil leaks out of my filter from around the o-ring making a mess of that whole area. I've cleaned it up 3 times, replaced the o-ring, cranked down on the filter as hard as possible without causing damage... but still, oil finds it way past the o-ring and drips down the sides of the oil filter housing...

Any suggestions on a repair here?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would check the plastic cap for a crack.
Stewart.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Maybe you're actually doing it up too tight? There comes a point when the rubber will distort, stick to the nm that's marked on the cap. Also make sure you put some oil on the new O-ring so that it doesnt snag as you do it up. After all that, maybe the cap thread is damaged??

Dan

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan you're back, awesome!

as far as the issue good to know about the tightness... I did oil up the new ring, but it leaked a bit from the start, then I've been continuously cranking down on it. I will fit a new filter and ring tomorrow and try your advice.

Good to hear from ya. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will sign up over there asap.

My l322 is now off the road until I can source the filter from a local dealer... I went to autozone and fit a new STP filter since it's all they had in stock, what a piece of thrash! The o-ring was beat out of the box, lubed it up in oil, fit the filter... Fired up the range and oil poured out from all around the top of the filter.

I'm guessing the issue is in the o-rings that come packaged with aftermarket filters.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was the o-ring, the stock one is clearly much higher quality... Leak stopped right away... One issue I discovered, all the teeth that retain the oil filter in the cap came out with the old filter. How important are those, I can't imagine they do much... or do they?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts