RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up my new 15.5 V8SC (more on that tomorrow) and had the DSS installed at the dealership.

They seem to be working fine, except that after I come back from a drive with just me in the truck, I turn the ignition off, get out and the driver's side step deploys, but when I walk around to the passenger side the step is also down even though no one got out of that door. Then a few seconds later it retracts. So I'm left wondering if I've been driving around with the passenger step down the whole time.

So I'm wondering what the deal is, if it's normal for both sides to deploy when the ignition turns off even if the passenger door never opens, or if it's something I should have the dealer look into?

Sorry I haven't had time to RTFM or search, I was hoping someone has a quick answer to this.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
THey deploy in pairs... together. Makes no difference if it is just you or if the Queen is riding with you.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
UNLESS of course you have the overhead override switch depressed... then neither deploy.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THey deploy in pairs... together. Makes no difference if it is just you or if the Queen is riding with you.
But when I get in each side opens individually as each door opens.

However I think I know what's going on. I believe there is a relationship between the unlock feature and both sides deploying. So when you start driving the car goes into auto lock, then when you park and turn it off it releases the locks and deploys both sides.

It kept freaking me out cause I kept getting out of the truck and seeing the other side deployed thinking it was either broken or haunted.

Thanks R.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
I'd vote for haunted. It makes for a much more fun story.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Interesting discussion-I know this has been discussed many times-I am considering the deployable steps but not sure it is worth the headache. To those that have them-are you glad you got them or are they just another headache?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Headache? I have them and apart from getting awkwardly hit twice by them and once missing them only for them to deploy on my legs, I don't have any regret. Once you get used to expecting the step to be there when you step out or in, there is just appreciation of them. Love mine and no complaints.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Deployable side steps are amazing! They make egress and ingress so much easier, as well as vastly improve access to the roof. Not to mention of course that they are very very cool8)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that I figured out how to confine the settings to make them work like I want them to I (and especially mrs soulsea) love them.

The best setting for me is to disable the auto-lock feature that way the only side that ever deploys is the side the door is opened and they never deploy both at once when not needed other than when unlocking with the fob, which I almost never do since the truck unlocks itself when I have the fob in my pocket.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Money well spent imo, keeps stress from overwhelming the side bolsters of your leather, thus preventing cracks and lines. The level your at, whilst entering or exiting, proves beneficial in many ways. Only complaint; I've hit my shin twice :triumph:

·
Registered
565 Posts
I like them because my little one can climb in and out on her own. Also, useful for older people that would have a harder climb. I don't regret them at all.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
But when I get in each side opens individually as each door opens.

However I think I know what's going on. I believe there is a relationship between the unlock feature and both sides deploying. So when you start driving the car goes into auto lock, then when you park and turn it off it releases the locks and deploys both sides.

It kept freaking me out cause I kept getting out of the truck and seeing the other side deployed thinking it was either broken or haunted.

Thanks R.
Perhaps you can expand a bit on your findings. Exact steps to get your DSS behavior might be help as I am a little confused.

I went into the car and turned off auto lock. I also tuned on "kerb view" in the camera so I can see what it does right there in the dash screen. When I opened the driver door, both still deploy. I then closed the door then hit the lock button on the door when I use the unlock button then open my driver door, the both still deploy. Am I missing something?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,986 Posts
LR has some not so intuitive technology. Why would both deploy if you're only opening one? Maybe installed incorrectly?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Perhaps you can expand a bit on your findings. Exact steps to get your DSS behavior might be help as I am a little confused.

I went into the car and turned off auto lock. I also tuned on "kerb view" in the camera so I can see what it does right there in the dash screen. When I opened the driver door, both still deploy. I then closed the door then hit the lock button on the door when I use the unlock button then open my driver door, the both still deploy. Am I missing something?
Go to the steering wheel menu > vehicle set-up > driveway locking and turn that feature off ... the other settings you changed don't affect the DSS.

This way it only deploys each side as the door is opened and the only time they both deploy is when you unlock through the fob, which you would presumably only do when you have a passenger getting in.

LR has some not so intuitive technology. Why would both deploy if you're only opening one? Maybe installed incorrectly?
No that's they way they are supposed to work when the vehicle is unlocked, it's not as well thought out as the GM SUVs, in fact they've overthought it, but at least there's a workaround to make it work more intuitively.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts