RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1997 LR Range Rover HSE 4.6 ...with the 100 amp Magneti Marelli alternator. Can Anyone tell me if this alternator has a seperate voltage regulator that i can replace Without having to replace enire alternator unit. I am also considering replacing entire alternator with the 120 amp Marelli unit BUT i still have same question concerning the voltage regulator. Anyone know for sure?? Tips,Advise.etc. .....is Truly appreciated!!!!! THANKS in advance......
 

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
950 Posts
6RedRover9 said:
I have 1997 LR Range Rover HSE 4.6 ...with the 100 amp Magneti Marelli alternator. Can Anyone tell me if this alternator has a seperate voltage regulator that i can replace Without having to replace enire alternator unit. I am also considering replacing entire alternator with the 120 amp Marelli unit BUT i still have same question concerning the voltage regulator. Anyone know for sure?? Tips,Advise.etc. .....is Truly appreciated!!!!! THANKS in advance......

Hi,
No idea about MM alternator but LUCAS & NIPPON DENSO both have replaceable v/reg's.
Can't u open it & see?. No harm.
If u need I can post u diagrams of LUCAS or ND.

regds
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes Sir......Please post your diagram of the Nippon Denso alternator. I would truly appreciate it THANKS in advance........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Hi there,
Give a try to
http://www.woodauto.com/
in the "search" case type the Rover part No or the magneti marelli part no, stamped in your alt.
The unit complete exploded parts view will be available. I'm pretty sure you can replace just your voltage regulator. They provide very very good service and worldwide shipping.

Thanks to them I completely rebuild my RR300 Tdi alternator and my disco2 V8 bosch alternator, as front bearings for the bosch alt are a weird size and not usually available

Hope that helps
Good luck

Robert
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
is it worth getting a rebuilt unit?

if so when my GEMS P38 alternator went (squealing bearing) I got quoted high prices for rebuild/replace but when I asked about one for a similar vintage disco they were half the price - I just swapped the pulley and away I went...
 

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
5,421 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
Autolite replacement, $79, lifetime warranty, local Schucks.
Crikey that's cheap! I wouldn't muck around, I'd just replace it.

Mine cost A$500 and that was at trade-price. :cry:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
27,793 Posts
p38arover said:
rrtoadhall said:
Autolite replacement, $79, lifetime warranty, local Schucks.
Crikey that's cheap! I wouldn't muck around, I'd just replace it.

Mine cost A$500 and that was at trade-price. :cry:
Geez Ron, you were here at the shop when I replaced it. :mrgreen: :lol: Although now that you have posted I do remember needing to bore out the top mount bolt a hair. Heck the magneti marelli was was only $198 but would not be in stock for 24 hours. Remember, we had miles to rack up and no time to sit around drinking up my wine collection! :mrgreen: Well we did... but the road trips were more important.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
I thought $240 locally for a reco was cheap....

given the aus dollar is about 98 cents at the moment thats prolly about $245 US
 

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
5,421 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
p38arover said:
rrtoadhall said:
Autolite replacement, $79, lifetime warranty, local Schucks.
Crikey that's cheap! I wouldn't muck around, I'd just replace it.

Mine cost A$500 and that was at trade-price. :cry:
Geez Ron, you were here at the shop when I replaced it. :mrgreen: :lol: Although now that you have posted I do remember needing to bore out the top mount bolt a hair. Heck the magneti marelli was was only $198 but would not be in stock for 24 hours. Remember, we had miles to rack up and no time to sit around drinking up my wine collection! :mrgreen: Well we did... but the road trips were more important.

Yep, but I'd forgotten the price.
 

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
950 Posts
6RedRover9 said:
Yes Sir......Please post your diagram of the Nippon Denso alternator. I would truly appreciate it THANKS in advance........
Hi,
Sorry I couldn't reply/
My PC gives problems & even now I'm coming thro a net cafe.
I'll post the diagrams as soon as I get my PC back.

best regds

kapila
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top