RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New member and new to Rovers so please go easy on me.

Just picked up a 2006 322 SC last week with an e clutch issue (4,5,6 slipping). Looked at rebuilding but thats more expensive than buying a used one.

I found lots of transmissions locally, but none for the 4.2sc full size. At first I was led to believe that any Jaguar-engined 4.4 or 4.2 used the same zf 6hp26 transmission, but today multiple sources claimed I could only use one found in a 4.2. Ok... fine. I found one from a 2006 SC Sport, interchange #500-50855.

Can anyone confirm this is the exact same transmission used between the two? Some sources say yes, some no. My understanding from the dealer is that I need the tgd500471/tgd500600 transmission. For obvious reasons, I need to be 100% sure.

Thanks for any help, and looking forward to being a contributing member of this forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So after being bounced around several transmission shops (nobody wants to work on these things!) I have some information to share so there is at least a record for future searches.

Any tranny for a Jaguar 4.4 engined will fit the between both Sport (l320) and Full Size. (L233). Similarly, a 4.2 sc tranny can be used across both models as long as it used a 4.2 sc. The two cannot be interchanged.

But the one shop (besides rover) willing to touch it says that due to the complexity of the way Land Rover do their coding to each particular vehicle, he would sooner take out my mechatronic unit and put it in the doner transmission before installing. Seems like a Mickey Mouse was of getting around reprogramming but I guess it works.

So - costs. Dollars are in Canadian and everything is expensive up here.

Labor to do the swap, filter, new fluids, tax in: $2850. This does not include the doner transmission, for which I found a local used unit for $1800 plus 500 core. (This is actually a pretty good price. Transmissions with more mileage were typically in the $3000-$3500 range.) Then pay to transport across town, then transport the core back. Or do it myself. (Had my gall bladder taken out this week so maybe not). All in for the swap after core is returned: $4750. Then I am still hoping the doner tranny works 100%. Comes with a 3 month warranty. And if it fails, I am totally screwed regardless because they will only warranty the tranny - not the price to install elsewhere.

OR

I was quoted 5 to 6k to rebuild the entire existing tranny. With a 2 year warranty. So that is an extra $250 to $1250 paid for newer parts and the added warranty.

In short: My findings for these transmissions is that trying to cheap out and save money just doesn't really make sense in the end. Just find a good rebuilder and try to swing a deal if you can on the labor. The issue seems to be that most shops won't touch the zf6hp so those that do are likely to know you have limited options.

·
Registered
376 Posts
So you are running into the classic proprietary barrier that product owners implement to stave off knock offs and second hands non-certified mechanics on Lr products .

We do it with our products..no one has our software therefore noone can work on the electronic part of our mechanical items. If you are buying it to keep for a while my suggestion is you either take it to LR for the repair or get rid of the car..it will be a major headache if you cannot program the parameters to work as it should.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Programming is certainly an issue. I avoid that with a rebuild.

Programming is an issue in this process for sure but with a rebuild, it should be fine provided my mech unit is in good shape still and not messed due to contaminated fluid.

I would have to do a new adaptations learn but that is easy enough with the IID tool.

Land Rover was not at all interested in a rebuild, but did offer a brand new transmission for 8g. Obviously that is the sure-fire way to get everything solved but 8g is 8g.

Today I finally talked to a shop where the guy really knew what he was doing. Everything he talked about was right in line with all the research I've done. I agreed to let him rebuild it for 5-6k. If I'm super lucky he might find a simple fix and be honest enough to save me some money.

I shall miss the 6k.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts