RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I placed an order for a RRS V8 Supercharged, and the sales guy gave me the following options:

Door Edge Guards - $295
Front Window Tint - $295
Clear Bra - $1,795
Permaplate - $1395

Now, I'm not going to pay $295 for them to tint two windows, when I can get it much cheaper at a tint shop, so that's out of the question. And I've done some research and the "Permaplate" thing seems to be universally panned as a scam and a dealer ripoff. Does anyone have any opinion, however, on the "Clear Bra" and the "Door Edge Guards?" Trying to decide if it's worth the money.

I order Carpathian grey, if that's important.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,459 Posts
The dealer is acting as a middleman and subbing out the work to an installer. I would do some research and find who is good at providing these services in your area and deal directly with the individual. You probably can get a better deal and a better product outside the dealership. I have clear bras on two of my cars.

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,169 Posts
Yes clear bra is high, so I can see the fee they are charging you to be the middle man.

I’d look up 3M or xpel installers in your area and get a quote. My dealer let the guy come in and put on the clear bra before delivery in their garage.

Congrats on the order!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes clear bra is high, so I can see the fee they are charging you to be the middle man.

I’d look up 3M or xpel installers in your area and get a quote. My dealer let the guy come in and put on the clear bra before delivery in their garage.

Congrats on the order!
Good advice, and thanks!

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
238 Posts
These dealer options are definitely overpriced. Permaplate is terrible. I've been happy with Opti-Coat. It's been 3 years and it's still going strong.
I also prefer Xpel over 3M but both are good clear bras. Make sure you get the clear bar installed first and then apply the ceramic coating.

2015 HSE SV6 VelocityAP Tune

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
54 Posts
I used Opti Coat as well from an outside shop. Did my tint at a separate location as well. Priced right and pro. I’d skip the dealer, prob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,169 Posts
Agree for me opticoat is a must have from now on. I’ve done both a 3M and xpel clear bra on my last two vehicles and the xpel product is better.

I may skip out on a clear bra next time to be honest. Mine still gets nicks from rock chips so the appearance is the same although the paint may be saved. Dealer won’t care either way at trade in time. I’m starting to think it’s basically spending over $1,000 to make the car look better for the second owner.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Do you guys really think it's worth the expense of a clear bra and all the after market long term protection?

here is my thinking..

If you spend the money for the clear bra you can still get chip and dings from road debris. Then if it happens I would now have to spend money trying to correct that damage or repaint the area and then ad another bra.

If i spend the money to have someone put a nano coating on, it still wont stop scratched and swirl marks from accidental improper washing or someone from brushing up against or rubbing there hand across vehicle when dirty.

Door guards to me take away from the appearance of the vehicle.

Don't get me wrong, all of the above do serve a purpose and to each offer varying degrees of protection. many of them are way over stated as to what they could do.

So for me Instead of spending several thousand on things like above I spent under $500 Buying all the proper gear for washing and caring for the vehicle for it lifetime.

Various styles and sizes of professional style micro fiber towels each with a different purpose.
Proper soaps, washing Buckets with dirt traps and micro fiber mitts
Waffle towels for drying.
Clay bar with lube
Sealants for Both paint and wheels
Liquid carnauba wax
Random Orbital Buffer with various types of hex logic pads for all levels of paint correction.
4 grades of liquid Buffing/polishing compounds
leather cleaner and sealant as well as vinyl coatings.

I figure i am washing the vehicle at least once a week and figure on doing paint corrections with seal about twice a year and waxing with liquid wax is easy should be done 6 times a year. even with the nano coating it should be waxed.

I decided to do it this way so i can manage the look as we go its not all that hard, i mean anything can happen anytime to the finish and if i had a bra and or a coating I couldnt do any paint correction without having to reapply the bra or coating again.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
door edge guards remind me of Grandma's 69 Plymouth FuryIII. Those tacky dang things broke up the clean lines of the car...

·
Registered
298 Posts
door edge guards remind me of Grandma's 69 Plymouth FuryIII. Those tacky dang things broke up the clean lines of the car...
Man, so right eh?
I remember seeing them when I was younger and thinking, why the heck would anyone put that on any car? Then my dad told me it’s an extra that you have to pay for and I was like, MIND=BLOWN

Couple of you guys mention you’ve gotten opticoat. Do you find that the hydrophobic wears off and you have to get another application? I have ceramic pro (in Ontario mind you, so we have to contend with winter) and I found the hydrophobic properties didn’t even last a year.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Couple of you guys mention you’ve gotten opticoat. Do you find that the hydrophobic wears off and you have to get another application? I have ceramic pro (in Ontario mind you, so we have to contend with winter) and I found the hydrophobic properties didn’t even last a year.
I can't remember any hydrophobic coating with opti-coat. All I know is after 3.5 years, after washing the car it still feels like it's been freshly waxed and no stains from bird poop or hard rain spots.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have my door edges protected with Xpel. It's pretty much invisible and saves my edges from when I inevitably whack my door against a pillar in my garage.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have my door edges protected with Xpel. It's pretty much invisible and saves my edges from when I inevitably whack my door against a pillar in my garage.

Yes, and the door guards being offered by my dealer are invisible.

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,169 Posts
Do you guys really think it's worth the expense of a clear bra and all the after market long term protection?

here is my thinking..
I guess it depends on how OCD you are about a vehicle. After about a year or two of ownership, I kinda let things go. I realize swirls, etc are a part of life. On my previous vehicle I did not have opticoat put on and would wash and wax using the Zaino system, including a clay bar. It would take me a good 4+ hours of detailing based on how Zaino recommends between the Z2, Z6, and Z4 I believe it was.

With the opticoat I don't have to wax any more, and using the no rinse car wash I can have my car cleaned and dried in under an hour. I'm about 3.5 years in with the opticoat and the hydrophobic properties are still there--after I wash the vehicle it looks brand new with the shine and water still beads well. I believe it's supposed to last at least 6-8 years which for our purposes should cover the amount of time that we keep these vehicles.

As for the clear bra, yes I have multiple marks and nicks on my xpel which would be the same appearance on a vehicle without a clear bra, so I'm likely to skip that $1,400 or so cost next go-round.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A clear bra is good option for a dark color like that if you are buying but not if you lease. I think you can find installers who will do a much better job than the detailer for less money. I did CeramicPro coating after paint correction as well.

The sequence my detailer uses is:
Paint Correction
Film application - in my case Suntek film.
CeramicPro on top.

Wonderful shine and easy to wash many times with just water.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
I have put ceramic coating on both by trucks. Cheapest car wash or rain makes the truck look brand new again.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
16 Posts
It's the old story, fools and their money are soon separated. But really, the coatings can make repairs of a small scrape harder and more expensive to fix. The paintwork on the Rangies is pretty darn tough and the gleam returns wit awash without polishing. I have a couple of older rangies too as they ae too good to sell. One is a 2003 Vogue and the paintwork is till like new, and I live in the county.

Most of this stuff is great, but unnecessary. Save our dollars.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts