RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my build sheet for my custom order, it has a build date, delivery date, and handover date. Is the "build date" when the vehicle has been built (meaning it will have a VIN number)? I'm trying to figure out when I should inquire with the dealership about the VIN number (so I can use it to start shopping for financing because some banks want the VIN number).

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport SCV8 ATB (L494)
183 Posts
On my build sheet for my custom order, it has a build date, delivery date, and handover date. Is the "build date" when the vehicle has been built (meaning it will have a VIN number)? I'm trying to figure out when I should inquire with the dealership about the VIN number (so I can use it to start shopping for financing because some banks want the VIN number).
I'm interested in the same thing. My build date was this past Friday - I assume that means the date the build is started. I had inquired with my salesman a week prior to that (3/22) and everything was still the same - build date of 3/29, projected delivery date to the dealer of 5/3, and planned handover on 5/5. I was planning to check in with him again in a week or two to see if there are any updates (he offered to check whenever I wanted - I'm trying to be patient :) ).

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,169 Posts
I checked my email history from 2015, and I got my VIN about 10 days after my build date, which is when the factory is supposed to start on the build. Delivery is to dealer and handover is to you. Took about four months total.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hodog16,

Did you have to email and ask for the VIN? Or did the dealer email it to you 10 days after your build date without you asking?

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,169 Posts
I had emailed them specifically to ask for the VIN which they replied quickly, so I imagine they had it all along. If I remember correctly once the build date occurs and there's a chassis or frame that your vehicle will become, it gets a VIN number.

·
Registered
276 Posts
technically a vin number is issued to the vehicle when the build has started this is how they track the process of the vehicle throughout its stages. The dealer will usually have there systems updated within a week of the start date to let them know at what stage it is at so it is then you can ask them for the vin number.

I had mine 5 days after the build date. you can also ask them for the ships name that it is loaded onto so you can track the ship (not the vehicle) across the ocean. When it gets into port it time to deliver can vary greatly depending on how busy they are and how many port installed items you have ordered. Also if there was any damage to the vehicle during shipping it must be repaired there before delivery to the dealership.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts