Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought new 22"/9.5" wheels for my 2009 HSE Sport and now need the tires. I want as comfortable a ride as I can without rubbing my wheel well, etc. I don't take it off-road except for the occasional dirt road to a cabin. My tire guy recommended 285/35/22 by Continental (Extreme). Is that the best/right size for what I'm looking for? Thanks for your help. RR

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
637 Posts
Sir, folks here who trying to get as comfortable ride as they can get, go with 275*45 (or even 50) *20 on standard 20 rims.
That 35mm sidewall height will probably throw any hopes for comfortable ride out of a door, does not matter brand or model of a tire.
I hope you understand that height of sidewall directly impacts ride comfort.
In any case, you will, probably loose on that front VS even standard set-up 275*40*20 on 9 inch wide rims.
On My next tire change I will probably go with 275*45*20 to get a little more of that ride comfort.
Also, just please keep in mind, your spare tire should match in oughter diameter with the rest of tires.
Say you go with 22" rims, 275*35*22 tires and ever need to put spare tire on, driving like that will very shortly damage the differential.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
265 Posts
Hi Roman,
You are correct with regard to ride comfort and the spare tire issue.
However the 35 in the size 285/35/22, is not the height of the sidewall but rather the aspect ratio. ie, the sidewall height as a percentage of the tire width.
So for Robbies tire the sidewall height would be around 99 to100mm

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
265 Posts
Thinking more about the tire size definitions:
Who on earth came up with it? A committee no doubt.
Mixed units in all fields. millimeters/percent/inches.
Why not inches/inches/inches or mm/mm/mm?
And on top of that, rim widths are defined in inches to match the millimeter tire width.
Give me a break please!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts